Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Printing Software

• Please log in to reply

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hi, now I know setting up network printing through Windows XP would be the best option but it's not my computer (it's my friends) and he wants third-party software for some odd reason. So what would be the best (free) software to let him print off his desktop computer with a printer attached from another computer in his household.

Cheers!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't need any. Windows has support for it automatically.

There is third-party software available but it doesn't come cheap, something like this is very unlikely to go as freeware.

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Ok I found out why my friend wanted network printing software. Ok he had network printing through Windows XP going, but then he did a security revamp and removed Zone Lab Internet Security Suite and Kaspersky Anti virus. He replaced them with Armor2net firewall and NOD32 anti virus. Now when he goes to install a network printer, his printer or any other doesn't appear on the list. Could he security revamp be affecting this???

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Most firewall software clamps down on local network access until you tell it otherwise. Therefore you need to go into the program and set it up to allow his computer to talk to other computers on the network.