Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Skipy jumpy video playback

• Please log in to reply

Hippolas

Hippolas

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've had this issue for a long time and Im getting fed up that there isn't anything on the web describing it much, so here it must go.

The issue is simply related to pc-only video playback of offline video files. I use a windows os,7,8,10, or 11 doesnt matter,cause it changes nothing. The video playback sofrware varience did nothing either. PowerDVD, windows media player, Potplayer, any video player shares the issue (though not on phones, however irrelevant)

Many specific videos I have playback normally, then suddenly skip or jump around seeking second or sometimes minutes at a time. It wont happen with every video I have, format doesnt matter either. I have noticed a pattern, but the solutions just dont seem good.

The pattern is,in these problem videos, some moments withn contain zero audio (not for the whole duration, just here or there). When the playback reaches this point, that is exactly when the jumpiness occurrs. If I edit the video and replace the sound file in such a way where the entire audio contains even the smallest amount of background static or noise, the issue dissapears on the output file, then,and only then. Of course with my luck, I dont have decent editing software. It outputs files at lower quality for ten times the file size, plus editing sound that way is just not right. I should be able to get fully stable playback in moments where there is no audio. Not all videos do this, which leads me to believe it has something to do with how videos are put together by others (when downloaded).

Can anyone recommend good (free) software solutions for better playback, or let me know why this keeps happening? It's moat annoying that I know others have this problem too, but an internet search always leads to corrupt video (which is not the case). I should not have to add stupid static and edit sound profiles for stable video. But this is as far as my tech saviness will reach. It could be something obvious I simply am not aware of.

Note: If I do convert, change, or output a new version of that video without covering the dips of sound, the jumpiness issue does not go away, and Ive used at least 5 different editing softwares to try.

Advertisements