Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird IE7 Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply

Andrew J

Andrew J

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi Guys,

Hoping you can help here.

I've been using IE7 for a while (Beta and New release) and only recently I have started having a problem where when I launch ie the tabs for my home pages open but nothing loads.....I could wait for an hour an still nothing, but if I hit the stop button and run the "Diagnose Connection Problems" tool in the Tools menu after some time it tells me Internet connection has been restored and everything starts working fine again but if I Restart my PC the problem returns. This also affects MSN Messenger so somehow they are related.

Skype, iTunes etc.... all access the web fine just IE7 and MSN Messeneger seem to have a problem.

I've tried un-installing & re-installing IE and (interestingly it never seems to un-install completely and still leaves the IE icon on the desktop but no program in the Add or Remove programs list) but the problem still exisits.

Please help as I am going CRAZY !!!!!!!!! :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
IE would revert to the previos version, it would not uninstall every version

Have you been to Microsoft Update since installing IE7

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Andrew J

Andrew J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi Keith,

Yes I've run update since the insatll and have installed any recomended updates.

When I un=installed V7 IE did revert back to V6 but V7 was still in the Add or Remove programs list and when I tried to re-install V7 it told me it was already installed and to un-install it first. I finally managed to re-install it OK and it seems to be working fine except for the time it takes to load up pages when first opened. Interestly if I receive an email which contains html links they won't display either until the browser is working?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you using outlook or outlook express

Andrew J

Andrew J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Outlook, and running XP SP2

scottportraits

scottportraits

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Dec 5

Hello,

I too am having problems with IE7....it will not launch the browser at all. I have XP SP2 Home and use Mozilla browser as my default. Upgraded to IE7 and it's patches and have it ready to load pages that require IE 5.5 or later, and the html e-mails.

The IE7 Browser has suddenly failed me. Using games and P2P they require certain connections thru IE and not Mozilla, and they are all jammed now.

We reset winsock thru netsh winsock reset via run > cmd, but no change upon reboot. Can't get to MS IE7 help od download/update pages with Mozilla.

And IE refuses to launch.

I know uninstalling and re-installing IE is tricky, so I am wary to try.

My network connections, cable modem, and other browser (frefox) run fine and show no prob, so I figure it must be either an IE or XP issue.

Thanks. (Thunderbird is default mail-server, buty have MS messenger and Outlook Express installed and configured. Firewall is also fine.

I'm stumped !!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use add and remove, tick show updates, remove IE7 and it will roll back to IE6

Running a repair install would do the same thing, although it would remove all updates

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Andrew J

Andrew J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks Keith,

I'll give it a try and let you know how I go.

regards,

Andrew.

Andrew J

Andrew J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Keith,

I changed my BIOS settings to boot from CD ROM (then HDD then FDD and CD ROM, FDD and then HDD) first and tried it, got the "To boot from CD press any key" prompt pressed any key and the PC still booted up to XP as per normal? I tried this several times but with the same result.

Any suggestions as to why this could happen? I am running a Gigabyte m'board if this helps.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When the PC is at the desktop, if you insert a CD does it autorun, can you see a disc loaded if you look in my computer

Can you try tapping the enter key while it is booting with the XP CD in

Advertisements

Andrew J

Andrew J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Yes the CD autoruns and I can see it under My Computer in windows explorer. Tapping Enter whilst booting up does nothing and it still starts up as normal.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
In BIOS set up, can you set the boot priority to CD ROM drives only, so the hard drive isn't an option

If no change you can reset it

Andrew J

Andrew J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I can change the boot priority to only cd rom but it still boots to HDD.

I noticed another option last night when it was restarting called "Boot Menu", when I entered this menu (by pressing F12) the boot first device was set to HDD but I couldn't change it as the menu was "frozen" and I couldn't even scroll through the options and had to hard reset my PC to get out of it! I've tried this several times but it just freezes up when i get into this menu.

I've also noticed that the PC takes ages to shut down and seems to pause at the "Saving Your Settings" screen for at least 5 mins if you shut it down without fixing the Internet connectivity issue first and often programs will come up as "Not Responding" at the same time. this seems to be related because if I run the Connection Diagnostics program and therefore fix the internet connectivity it shuts down fine.

Andrew J

Andrew J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi Keith,

I finally worked out why I couldn't boot from CD, as my keyboard was plugged into the USB port and not the PS2 port the PC failed to see it until XP booted up, anyway problem solved and I've managed to run the repair process as suggested but now when the PC starts up it asks whether I want to run in 'Safe Mode" and will only start in "Safe Mode", selecting "Last Known Good Configuration" or "Run Windows Normally" just reboots it and it comes back to the Safe Mode menu again!!!!!!

I've tried running repair again but that made no difference.

Any suggestions?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try step 6 here

http://www.rm.com/Su...?cref=TEC272497