Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Weird IE7 Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply

Andrew J

Andrew J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks Keith,

I got half way through and it asked me for the Administrator password, which I had never set up, so I tried leaving it blank but it didn't accept it either. Now I'm stuck as it will only let me try 3 times before it restarts the PC and we are back at square one again.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There is an option to parallel install, then transfer what you need from this to the new one?

Andrew J

Andrew J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I've done a parrallel install and am in the process if copying over all my programs etc.... again but my pc is running really slow, probably because my C drive is almost full now that I have two copies of XP installed.

How do I get rid of the original XP installation once I have copied everything across?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you double click local disc C

Have you got two windows folders

Andrew J

Andrew J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Yep, I have the original "Windows" folder and "WinXp" which is where I put the new install.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As long as you are sure which is which, what does it say here

Click Start then Run, type msconfig then press enter

Click on the BOOT.INI tab

Click on Check All Boot Paths

Andrew J

Andrew J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I get the following response - "It appears that all BOOT.INI lines for Microsoft operating systems are OK."

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Select the original windows folder, move it to my documents and reboot the PC

Andrew J

Andrew J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Should I uninstall the applications I've installed under this installation of XP first or can that be done later? They obviously don't show up in the "Add Remove Programs" list of the new installation of XP so I'm worried I won't be able to get to them once i unistall the original windows.

I was thinking that given that I am effectively installing everything from scratch is there any benefit in re-formatting my C: drive and starting from there to aviod any further problems? All my data is stored on another drive so it would be safe?

I've also noticed that it takes ages for the pc to boot up the new XP installation and seems to sit at the "Windows is starting up...." message for at least 10 minutes before starting.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
How did moving the original folder to my documents go?

Advertisements

Andrew J

Andrew J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
No worries, booted up fine. It still asked me which version of XP I wanted to run though?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
XP is not dependant on anything in that folder, so it can go

When you checked boot paths, it should have shown two versions

Have you got all the programmes running from this version now?

Andrew J

Andrew J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I've deleted the Windows folder and the Boot path showed two versions, the old and the new XP.

I haven't installed all of the programs yet but I can do that over time I guess.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open Control Panel and double click on the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the new window, click on the "Edit" button. A notepad window will open (boot.ini)

If it is

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS New
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS New="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS Old="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

The windows folders being named according to how you did them

Then delete the line applicable to the original one

Click file, click save, close the notepad window

Reboot

Andrew J

Andrew J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
All done and rebooted OK.