Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BBC Website connection

• Please log in to reply

guyonphone

guyonphone

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
right click on the internet security icon in your systray and choose disable

Attached Thumbnails

• nis_main_systray.jpg

Advertisements

stu42

stu42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
turned off firewall and still couldn't get onto site.

Has it got something to do with my DNS cache? everytime I reconnect my router, I get the message "cannot clear the DNS cache. Contact your system admininstator to resolve the problem"

What does this mean and could this be having an adverse effect?

guyonphone

guyonphone

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
heres what we know.

1. You have an internet connection.
2. Your browser works because it will bring up other pages.
3. You are not blocking sites in your host file.

So something is blocking you from going to only some websites. That is odd. as for your dns cache thats easy check if its it or not.
open up a browser and type http://212.58.240.32 into the address field.
If dns, or dns cache is your problem you WILL see the bbc website. if dns is not your problem you wont see the page.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
http://service1.syma...003071515220236

Sorry, for the interrupt...by the time I got back on line, the other responses had been mounted.

If it is any consolation...I too have difficulty with the BBC... as I am listening...it cuts out...intermittently...to the point where I am "connected" about 85% of the time and listening to dead air for 15% of the time. Now, if that is a world wide problem, then this may be a matter of coincidence :blink: If that is the case, then there is nothing "we" can do at this end of the problem. If not...motor on, dude... :whistling:

Edited by b1caez01, 27 November 2006 - 06:10 PM.

stu42

stu42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
have entered that http:// address for the DNS cache and it says that I can't find server or DNS error.

AaaaRRggHH......

All I want is for the kids to give me some peace and quiet!!! lol

Any more ideas guys?

guyonphone

guyonphone

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I swear this sounds like something on your computer that is blocking you. Im not telling you to do this, its your decision, but if it were me I would uninstall the norton firewall. Then i would run autruns and make sure no other programs are running when i start windows, but im just drastic like that. By the way if you have a router, there is really no need for norton internet security, if you still want a software firewall, there are better free solutions.

edit:
After further thought, im fairly confident this has something to do with your computer and not bbc, as the trace router would have reflected that. The fact that you got Destination host unreachable the first time, means that you did not even connect to your isps gateway. It is possible that you may still have a host file problem, where as some spyware can move the active host file to other places on the computer. You may want to run hijack this and post the log in the malware section, to see if there are any problems, you can post it here and i can look at it too.

before you do anythinge else though, lets check to see if its a dns issue, run a tracert to 212.58.240.34 (bbc's ip) and see if you still get destination host unreachable.

Edited by guyonphone, 28 November 2006 - 04:52 PM.

stu42

stu42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi All

Just want to say a big thanks to everyone who contributed to trying to help me sort out my problem.

I've sorted the problem. I have a programme called "Peer Guardian" which stops my IP address being distributed across the web. This was also set up to block Http's. now I've unblocked the Http function on it, I can access all sites.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!