Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer FPS SLOW

• Please log in to reply

vastosmas

vastosmas

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello I am running a pentium 4 @1.7 GHZ and a NVIDIA GEFORCE FX 5200 128 mb and 1.25 gb of ram. MY problem is that any game ive ever tryed to play runs slow. Even older games with low specs either run slow or look like crap. I went into the nvidia setting and tried to tweak all the setting s down still nothing. I would like to know why my computer can't play games becuae i do meet most system requirements. If there is ne one that knows what to do or certain settings i can make it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts

pentium 4 @1.7 GHZ and a NVIDIA GEFORCE FX 5200 128 mb

That there would be the problem, about the only games youll get decent frames on are unreal tournament 2004 and original CoD era games. Meeting the requirements is a totally different thing from getting good playable frames, the minimum requirements are basically just enough for the game to start, the recommended are what you need to get it playable more or less.

Your CPU is very slow and the gfx card i know from experience of having one isn't up to much other than playing slightly older games, you try anything newer it'll crawl, the most recent game that card can handle and really be playable is half life 2 and that's iffy as well(well made game but its still a push) anything newer to get playable you'll need to go back 3 or 4 years to get games when that card was released and even then it was low end and wouldn't play games with high settings.

crustygloves

crustygloves

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
you could run medium graphics on half-life 2, i have a 1.7ghz, 256mb ram and a gf2 64mb gfx card, it o.k. on minimum settings with 20-40 fps, you could play newer games even, but you'd have to play them all on minimum settings, my friend doesn't meet the minimum requirements for counterstrike source, but its still playable.

what games are you trying to run?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
crustygloves remember youll be using DX7, 9 that the fx5 series can use is a bit more intensive. Source engine is very efficient and the DX7 mode works well(trying to get CS original player into source is the reason for that).

vastosmas

vastosmas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I was thinking about getting a ati radeon card should i get that and a new processor or can just the video card make my game run smoothe i want to play the new splinter cell game but i dont want to spend to much upgrading for one game

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well it really depends what you can upgrade to, youll probably be limited if you have AGP it should be fairly cheap to get a better card but if its PCI you have almost as good as you can get and its certainly not worth spending the cash on the best PCI card because its only moderately better.