Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing or corrupt <windows root>\system32\hal.dll

• Please log in to reply

onelife

onelife

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi I hope some one can help me with this problem: First I received a message that my NTLDR was missing for my windows xp files and I could only boot up with a copy of windows xp in the disc drive. I got a copy of my NTDLR and installed and I rebooted I received an message that "windows couldn't start because the following files is missing or corrupt <windows root>\system32\hal.dll after installing that I received a message "Can't open input file: D:\i386\hal.dll . Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Onelife

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there onelife. Getting an error regarding a missing or corrupt hal.dll file, might just be the BOOT.INI file on your root drive that is misconfigured. It is simple to fix just follow the steps...

1. Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.
2. At the first R=Repair option, press the "R" key
3. Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair.
4. Typically this will be #1
5. Type "bootcfg /list" to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file
6. Type "bootcfg /rebuild" to repair it
7. Take out the CD ROM and type "exit" If that doesn't work just press restart button on your PC.

Let me know if that solves the problem... after this issue has been resolved there is one more step we must follow to make sure this problem does not re-appear.

Cool :whistling:

onelife

onelife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hello... Thank you I appreciate your help very much! I did the steps you suggested but still I need the windows xp disc in my drive to bootup. Any further assiatance will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Onelife

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey again onelife.

Try and organize a XP disk from a friend. We need the disk to repair your problem. I know no other way of fixing your problem without it.

Get back to me, cool :whistling:

onelife

onelife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Hey again onelife.

Try and organize a XP disk from a friend. We need the disk to repair your problem. I know no other way of fixing your problem without it.

Get back to me, cool :whistling:

Hello again,

When you say "try to organize a xp disk from a friend" did you mean to get another copy? If so my brother just purchased a new Dell with windows XP installed and he has a copy from Dell can I use that one?

Thank you again for all your help!
Onelife

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Yeah you actually could.

I did to fix my XP.

Just make sure its the copy that says OS back up cd or something like that.

octalacorn

octalacorn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
yea i have windows vista and anytime i start my computer up it says
"File: /Windows/System32/hal.dll"
"Status:0xc000000f"
"Info:Windows failed to load because the Hal is missing, or corrupt.
It tells me to put in the windows disc but i dont have the disc so what do i do?