Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transfer VHS Tapes to DVDs

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Okay, Here's the Deal. I have a VCR/DVD Player/Recorder .... I have been able to record SOME of my movies from VHS to DVD ... but for some of them I get the message that the movie is copyrighted and cannot be copied to DVD. These are movies that I taped to VHS when I watched them. So they aren't "store bought."

Is there some way I can just hook up my VCR to my Computer to record them ON my computer to later burn to a DVD or something like that?

dog

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I don't know how the demo works as i was given this software by a customer who bought it for me to be able to record some WMV files he made from his video camera. They had DRM on them for some reason, so he could not burn them to DVD's. This program fixed that.

http://www.tunebite.com

SRX660

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
There are ways indeed. Canopus has hardware that will do this. GoDVD is another option. Neither is intended to thwart copyright protection. The best way to educate YOURSELF is to do some web searches on "converting vhs to dvd". You will be amazed what you can learn.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Thanks for the help. I just want to make it clear that I am not asking this question to help me violate copyright. I have already done that when I copied them to VHS. But with VCR's on the way out, and money in short supply, I'd just like to keep the "good" movies I have already copied.

So, again thanks

dog

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Indeed, vhs is on the way out. VHS tapes will deteriorate over time. I have many vhs tapes myself purchased back when it was THE medium that I am converting to DVD. We cannot help someone violate copyright protection. I am not accusing you of violating copyright protection, just making it clear we can't help someone wanting to do that. This is why I suggested self education by web searches.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Hey, it's cool Boss ... I understand. GeekstoGo is one of the most reputable sites not to mention one of the most helpful and I sure wouldn't expect you guys to help ANYONE break the law. I do appreciate the help offered as far as letting me know to just google it :whistling:

I also have some football, wrestling, track footage of the kids. But to help me would also help me violate .... so
if you need to eliminate this thread I understand that as well.

Keep up the good work!

Dog

Edited by moondog830, 24 November 2006 - 11:42 AM.