Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Homemade Cell Phone Ringtones

• Please log in to reply

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello everyone,

I have made my own personal ringtone and i have figured out how to text message it to my phone but i cannot figure out which file format to use.... when i try to open the following file formats from my phone i get this error message "Unable to Open Unknown Attachment".. on my cell phone.

formats I have tried using: (Suggested by the all knowing Google)

.mp3
.mid
.midi
.rttl

My service is thorugh Nextel and I am using a Motorrolla I355 phone. I am able to text the attachment to my cell phone by using outlook express and just adding the attachment and then sending it to:

[email protected]

Any help here would be greatly appreciated?

Advertisements

icyhott

icyhott

• Pip
  • 4 posts
You could try the .wav format.

I'm not sure if this is relevant but maybe a qcp ringtone would work for you. I believe that sprint phones use the qcp ringtones but seeing that nextel is owned by sprint maybe it would work for you. Its a longshot but check this website out.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Finally someone answered.. I appreciate the reply allot but it was a no go.... The tutorial you linked me to was with winamp... i used audacity for windows the exact same way to produce the ".QPC" file format and that didnt work as well.. I wonder if i just called nextel and asked them if they would tell me?, or even be able to tell me?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Why are you texting it, cant you bluetooth or transfer via usb, usually thats the most effective method, it might be that there is a restriction on the type and size of files you can open from a message.

I cut up my own mp3s for my phone, its a v3 i used p2k commander to get it over(i could use the motorola software but its not as good. But first i updated it with a new firmware and flex which freed up some space and enabled any features that weren't on it that came with newer models. Recently though i have been bluetoothing them across.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
I dont have the USB cable and for my phone i have seen the prices range from 40 to 70 dollars in store... I know that texting them will work... I have bought many ringtones online from the nextel site and that is how they get them to me....

Im assuming that the p2k you referring to is some sort of program that is used with the usb cable right?

As for type and size is exactly what im trying to find out... i already know that if the size is bigger than 200 KB it wont work... but the type or file format is where im stuck?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Wow, that is what we call here in Scotland a Council Brick.

From what i have read it only supports 16 chord / WAV ring tones which might be your problem it has no mp3 support. I cant believe it doesn't have bluetooth but has GPS.

So i would try either of those two formats but i hope its a simple tone because 200kb wont get you much on the wav format although its 16 chord so should be ok i suppose.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
when you say 16 chord are you taking about 16 bit? i dont understand otherwise? ALso i have tried .wav and that didnt work either... but i was using 24 bit when i tried it?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ild imagine so im not an audiophile, but 16 bit sounds right. I dont think it would take 24 bit signal i think thats to much if it can only do 16chords

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Tried changing it to 16bit and that didnt help either?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You know when i work it out, 16 chords in a wav would only be 4bits, i dont even know if that is possible. Im stumped, perhaps when you are emailing it, its being compressed it happens sometimes but its just a guess. Cant think of much else to try at the moment, its a right PITA it not being mp3 or bluetooth compatible they have made ringtones much easier, just compress a track to 64 or 48 Kb/s and bluetooth it.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Found the reason its not working..... I am supposed to be using the ".wav" format set to 8-Bit PCM.... which i had already tried... but unfortanatly the nextel model of phone i have (I355) does not support ringtones that are downloaded externally unless they come from only sprint or nextel site's... I am sure that there is a way arund this... something to change internally in the phone... but as that would probably be violating nextel's terms of service i guess im gonna have to pay for lame a$$ ringtones made by mass marketing idiots :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Whats wrong with a simple ringer, its what i used for years, then it was the ring from 24, recently its the james bond theme but itll go back to a ringer eventually.

Unless you get the PC cable and get a new firmware and flex it seems you are naffed.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Yeh... I have been forced to buy the usb cable.... or will buy it after payday next monday. :whistling:

scf2510

scf2510

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
visit the site http://www.nextpimp.com
you can find your phone and all the info you need on it. Most nextel phones use pcm wav files at:
- frequency: 8000
- 8 Bit
-Mono
Inside the forums on that site you can get detailed descriptions about exactly how to make the ringtone or you can download one of theirs. Hope this helps

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
outstanding i will give it a try.... I tried out Myxer and they said:

the nextel model of phone i have (I355) does not support ringtones that are downloaded externally unless they come from only sprint or nextel site's...

but i will check out your site as well. thanks for the post.