Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a New Pc

• Please log in to reply

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Hi hows every1 doing, im building my second pc i built my first one with the help with all of you guys and i want to thank you a lot again. But this is my second pc and i was wondering what i should do.
Heres what im looking for.

Good work pc that handles videos and music with no problem. And a lot of memory (around 750 to 1000 gig)
My price range is between 850-1100 but i would prefer it to stay on the 850 side lol.

Please help me again,
Thanks ~Pete

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Probably best for you to start looking and putting something together yourself and we cant tell you what to change, if you need it really cheap go for one of the AMDx2s 4600+ or below. When you say videos and music do you mean just storage and viewing or editing, editing will need a more powerful PC so you'll want an intel core2 which will handle editing a little better. If its just watching them you mean then a basic AMD is all you need and some nice big HDDs. Seagate make massive ones(up to 750Gb) but you might want a big case with lots of smaller cheaper drives(probably 320Gb Maxtors would be cheapest usually are for me and they are good drives) the bigger the drive the more expensive and its an exponential increase in price after about 250Gb.

Memory 1 or 2Gbs of DDR2, and a half decent motherboard, if you arent using it for games a cheap gfx card will do.

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
yea well, i want to store videos and music, and the computer is not going to be used for gaming much, but i dont want a crappy gfx card.

Do you mind giving me a list of what i should get? some1 did that last time and it helped a ton.

Thanks
~Pete

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No i dont do the work for you, takes far too long and if you dont know enough to put one together then im of the opinion you shouldnt be building it. The way i work is you pick the parts post them here and i check it for you, some nice person may come along and do it for you but i dont have the time to shop around and i dont think thats the best thing for you.

Ive given you a rough guide as to what youll be looking for, if its only storage 1Gb of ram should do, if you want cheap but half decent a 7600 or something in the ati 1600 range will probably be the best thing. I would just go cheap and get an AMD x2 maybe a 3800+ or 4200+ as you dont need that much power.

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
• GIGABYTE GA-965G-DS3 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel G965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
• Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz 2M sharing L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
• 2 - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD4000KD 400GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM (Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3500630A 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive – OEM)
• CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail or (CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
• )
• MSI NX7600GS-T2D256E GeForce 7600GS 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
• SAMSUNG Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology - OEM
• NZXT Apollo BLACK NP Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case – Retail
• THERMALTAKE TR2 500W Power Supply ATX12V V2.0 - Retail

Thats what i thought i should do, the ones in parenthesis are ones i might change to. what do u think?