Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Image backup

• Please log in to reply

sarathy

sarathy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have made an image of my C drive using Acronis true image and saved it in extenal hard drive.
Also made a rescue disc.My computer bios is enabled for usb .To boot from external hard disk in
the event of restoration is it enough to copy from the boot cd and paste the same in extenal hd?or
is there any thing further to do?
thanks.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
When you recover a saved acronis image, you don't boot from the USB Hard drive. Instead you put in the CD and turn on your computer and let the computer boot from the CD. Acronis will load and you will then see a window very similar to that when you created the backup. Just follow along with the steps to recover your computer using the image saved on the USB hard drive.

Fenor

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Acronis True Image works like this.

You boot into the DOS version of TrueImage and create a backup image of Windows (drive C) as a single file to another drive or partition.
When you need to do a restore cos Windows is broken, you boot into Acronis True Image (DOS), choose Restore, and locate that image file you created.

Acronis TrueImage will then copy the contents of that image file back to the drive or partition it came from. When completed, remove any floppy or cd bootable disks and re-boot. Windows should start.

I'm puzzled by your reference to copy/paste. This isn't part of the process at all. And neither does your USB drive (where the backup image resides) need to be bootable, since a backup image created by TrueImage is not bootable. You just need to be sure that in DOS, when you perform a Restore, TrueImage can actually read from the USB drive. Do a 'dummy run' of TrueImage running in DOS to confirm this.