Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Harddrive won't appear on the My Computer list

• Please log in to reply

shouranpotter

shouranpotter

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
:whistling:

Can someone please advice me on what to do with my external harddrive. I just got this Prestigio Externo 100Gb haddrive last month as a gift from a friend from Singapore. It has a 3 year warranty but I don't have any use of that since it's bought in Singapore.

Anyway, it's been working fine since I first used it. Just like a USB, I plug it in and do the safety remove hardware routine before I plug it out. However, sometimes, the system isn't allowing me to take it out coz it's busy. But the system always say that even if an hour or more has passed that I haven' used the harddrive. So what I do is go to task manager and end the process of the sync... thing in the processes.

That's the thing that I've been suspecting that caused this problem. Other USB sticks or other things like my PSP works fine when I connect it on the USB slot. And whenever I connect my harddrive, the light on the actual harddrive lights up. But it never appear on the My Computer list. Same with the autoplay dialog box that always appears when I connect it.

I'm really afraid if this harddrive gets broken. I have saved everything single file in here as this has served as my back up storage. I'm also suspecting that it might be caused by the temperature. My other 2 mp3 player doesn't work too and it both happened in winter time.

Thanks in advance! Hopefully, someon can help me.

Advertisements

shouranpotter

shouranpotter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
:whistling: please.
:blink:

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. When the device is connected to the usb port and powered up, does it appear in disk managment? Go to my computer, right click manage, storage, disk management.