Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Print Spooler problem

• Please log in to reply

CheapTim

CheapTim

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I'm trying to add my printer back after a virus. I keep getting the same error of "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running."

I've been through all the steps at http://members.shaw....nterDrivers.htm
and I know how to start the service. I have the dependency set up correctly. I've cleaned out the spool folders and also the keys in regedit.

The service showes that it is started. Then I go back to Add Printer, and the same message appears. I've followed the steps carefully several times, but the same message keeps popping up...I seem to have it set up perfectly each time, but whenever I go to add printer, the service stops itself, even after I just made 100% certain it is started.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The print spooler service should also be on the 'Automatic' setting where it says "startup type" so make sure it is. Then re-boot before attempting to install printer driver.

CheapTim

CheapTim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, yes the service is set to automatic and I use services.msc to start the spooler. Then I try to add printer ( I did re-install the printer and drivers as you suggested), but ti still says Print Spooler service not running.

Something is turning off the service even after I start it correctly.

Cntry

Cntry

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having the same problem

TomTomTom

TomTomTom

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Same problem. Every time I re-start the spooler, I still get messages that say "print Spooler service not running" I have tried every single step, but problem persists.

TomTomTom

TomTomTom

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
And in my Component Services event viewer, I found this:

The Print Spooler service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 4238 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Obviously, the spooler is shutting itself down (4200+ times!) in the past month.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
maybe you already checked this site out but if you didnt try trouble shooting it from here

http://support.micro...b/314085/EN-US/

TomTomTom

TomTomTom

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thanks, Rushin 1

I did try the stuff in that article, and it made my computer "wake up" from sleep mode (so I know the printer is fine), but nothing printed. The problem is definitely something turning the spooler off on me, no matter how many times I start the service.

I cannot add a printer even though I have the printer manufacturer software, because the same print spooler service not running error pops up as soon as I click on Add Printer

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
what type of printer are installing here

is it an hp

what type of errors

Edited by rushin1nd, 26 December 2006 - 09:13 PM.

TomTomTom

TomTomTom

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
It's an old Brother HL 645. I have installed the software. When I go to Add a Printer in control panel, it says the print spooler service is not started. I then restart the spooler, but then I get the same error message constantly. Something is shutting down my spooler, and it's happened 4,200 times within the past month. ( I had a virus in late November which I cleaned up, but this spooler problem remains)

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try this to kill the dependancy services that are not starting:

Remove all Print Spooler service dependencies other than the Remote Procedure Call service.

Click Start, Run and enter sc config spooler depend= RPCSS (there must be a space after "=" but not before it.)
By removing the other dependencies the Print Spooler service should be able to run, but the printer functionality may be affected, and it may be necessary to reinstall the printer drivers.

Don't forget to go back to services.msc \ right-click Print Spooler, and then click Properties. make sure that the startup type is set to Automatic. If it is not, click Automatic in the Startup type list, and then click Apply.

Under Service status, click Start.

Click OK to close the Print Spooler Properties dialog box

Edited by rushin1nd, 26 December 2006 - 11:53 PM.

TomTomTom

TomTomTom

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Ok, I tried all that, thanks. But the same error. Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running.

The dependencies have always been only RPC, so that was ok. The type has always been automatic, and I kept it there.

I ran sc config spooler depend= RPCSS and the command prompt only came up for a second, so I assume that is a very fast action.

I started the spooler service several times, and tried to add printer, and each time the same result no matter how many times I restarted the service.

So then I looked at the properties on the spooler and it said "started" under service status. Then I kept that properties window open and went to START>Printers and Faxes. I then double-clicked on Add a Printer and I got the same error message; and I also saw that "started" changed to "stopped" in the spooler service status.

No matter where I try to add a printer from (Control Panel, Printer Wizard, etc.) the same exact thing occurs. Whatever the very first step is when you try to add a printer, that step is stopping my spooler.

Like I said, I had the spooler properties window open and it said started...then as soon as I clicked on Add a Printer, it instantly changed to stopped.

Edited by TomTomTom, 27 December 2006 - 01:13 AM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
do you have xp cd disk

think your problem is in registry ...now they DONT want me helping you with registry so either wannabe1 will help or kieth will

so hang in there

Edited by rushin1nd, 27 December 2006 - 01:11 AM.

TomTomTom

TomTomTom

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Ok, if they don't want you to help me. :whistling:

No, I don't have the XP disk. Windows came pre-installed on this thing. I might be able to get one, but I'd have to ask around.

Thanks for your continued help tonight.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
getting one to help would be

try this not sure if it will help

http://www.pcinspect.../UK/welcome.htm