Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Print Spooler problem

• Please log in to reply

TomTomTom

TomTomTom

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Yeah sorry. I had a few extra subkeys that I backed up then deleted, according to the MS article. But that was it.

Advertisements

TomTomTom

TomTomTom

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
OK, so I now have an XP Pro 2 cd-rom, if that might help in a repair. I'm willing to try anything at this point.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Put the disc in the drive go to the command prompt and type in sfc /scannow press enter
let it scan for altered files
if that does not work
try a repair Repair xp

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
do you know if your motherboard is from AOpen.Inc ?

TomTomTom

TomTomTom

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
the sfc /scannow did not work.. I got an error saying application failed to initialize. I will try the XP Repair now.
Sorry, I do not know what motherboard I have. I believe it's the original one that came on the HP I have now.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
If you have an hp the repair might not work as they normally have OEM software.
Do you have the cd key for your product - should be a sticker on the machine or we can fin it.

Edited by peterm, 30 December 2006 - 01:24 AM.

TomTomTom

TomTomTom

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I have the original key number that XP was first installed as. but the XP cd-rom I have now and want to use is a different one. A copy I believe. Don't tell on me

TomTomTom

TomTomTom

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
LOL, this is gonna take a while, because I cannot print our the XP Repair instructions...

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

LOL, this is gonna take a while, because I cannot print our the XP Repair instructions...

I do not know if I should :blink: or :whistling:

Edited by peterm, 30 December 2006 - 01:37 AM.

TomTomTom

TomTomTom

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
OK, now I'm in trouble.
I followed the XP repair steps, and it went through the process. It looked like Windows was re-installing, but I saw in the article that it only appears that way and my data would not be lost.
So it rebooted and tried to open windows. before windows opened, It said Register online or by phone.
I cannot register online, because I need to get into Windows first to open/connect with my DSL.
I tried registering by phone, but the XP cd I was using to try this repair is a copy, and I don't have the product key for this particualr cd.
I do have the original key (from that software I downloaded that tells you the original key), but apparently it wants the cd-rom key, which I don't have.
The call center team would not help me, because they sense I am burning illegal CDs or something, but all I'm trying to do is use the Repair function on the current XP cd-rom I have. Oh brother! Now I can't even get into Windows.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I donot know if a restore will take us back as we have gone over the windows files.
You have your original key so I do not know why they won't help it is not wrong to use another disk as long as you have a legal CD key.
I have asked Wannabe 1 to have a look.

TomTomTom

TomTomTom

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Yeah, I think whatever repairs the new XP copied CD put on the machine, THAT is the key Windows is looking for. Unfortunately, I only have the key for the original installation. i tried explaning that, and said that I'm not trying some illegal pirating scam, but the guy wouldn't budge.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
TomTomTom...

Stand by...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 30 December 2006 - 03:22 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We're in a bit of a sticky situation here. Whether you knew it or not, using the copied XP was illegal and our Terms of Service prevent us from giving support.

I know of no way out of the spot you are in regarding your current operating system...Windows has locked you out. If you have important data on the machine, a parallel installation might allow you to recover the files. That will require a genuine version of windows that will validate with your key...or a new retail version. Or...contact HP and have them send you the recovery cd for your machine...which is the best option.

Given the circumstances of how this all started out, I've asked the Admin team to see if we can help you out of this.

TomTomTom

TomTomTom

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
OK, well I undertsand. I just thought this whole thing would work because the computer had XP pre-bundled on it to begin with, so I didn't think microsft would mind if I used another CD to simply repair it. I'm sure I can get an original CD (not a copy) from someone at work if I beg.
I also have an Home XP cd-rom that came with my Dell (another separate computer). In looking at that CD-rom, I don't see the product key anywhere on it, so I don't think that would work. (If an XP Home cd could repair an XP Pro problem in the first place)

Also...for the time being... is there any way to get me back to yesterday's settings so I can at least get into some version of windows? As it is, I can't get into windows, and so I can't back up anything or log onto internet, etc.

thanks !