Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Print Spooler problem

• Please log in to reply

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hey Wannabe 1
What if we try a Restore??????
from the command prompt. Or to many files overwritten

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
As things stand right now, I know of no way to get you to your data other than a parallel installation. I don't know if the Dell cd would allow us to do that or not as I don't know if it would accept your key. The restore might be an option worth trying, iff it didn't delete the restore files.

Many HP computers have a recovery partition you can start by pressing F10 during bootup. However, I do not remember if you are given the option for a non-destructive recovery when using this. What model HP do you have, and I'll check the manual to see what options we might have with that.

Edited by wannabe1, 30 December 2006 - 05:03 PM.

TomTomTom

TomTomTom

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Ok, well here's what I can tell you to the best of my ability.
I bought an old Compaq Presario from my work that originally had Millenium on it, but was upgraded to XP Pro.
That died, but they put the hard drive and OS into the HP Evo. The MS sticker on the Evo (the current compuiter I have problem with) says it had Windows 2000 Pro on it originally, but when we put the hard drive from the Compaq into the Evo, it's been running on XP Pro.
I used software last night to find out the product key from the XP Pro, since that CD is long gone. I have that number. That's the number I tried to enter to log into Windows (after the phone tech told me to change the key), and it didn't work.
So I've been assuming that the key I need has to match the CD-Rom that I'm running the repair from, since the key from the otiginal XP Pro installation did not work

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
peterm: Want to try System Restore from command prompt? It's worth a try.

TomTomTom

TomTomTom

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I'll try anything, if you can please instruct me how to do it. Thanks !

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok when you start the computer and press F8 do you get an option for command prompt in safe mode
If yes then
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
See if this starts the wizard.
If not then we will try from the Recovery console

Edited by peterm, 30 December 2006 - 05:28 PM.

TomTomTom

TomTomTom

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Ok, it would not let me choose an earlier recovery date. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you had XP Pro on the machine and have the product key for that...can you get your hands on a XP Pro cd to use for a bit. I think if we use the same version of Windows, we can do a parallel install using your key and get your data back.

TomTomTom

TomTomTom

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
If you had XP Pro on the machine and have the product key for that...can you get your hands on a XP Pro cd to use for a bit.
YES, I can do that. I have that now actually. The problem is that the XP Pro I have my hands on, I do not know they key for that CD. I only know the key for the original install.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You only need those as you will need to use your (original) product key

Advertisements

TomTomTom

TomTomTom

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
OK, cool. Then please guide me !
I think what happened yesterday is I tried a repair from a copied XP cd-rom. At the end, it prompted me to activate. I called M'soft, but they wouldn't let me.
Also, it started up OK in Safe Mode, I saw my icons, so I know all my data is there. Thank God !

TomTomTom

TomTomTom

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Most people told me that to use an XP cd-rom (copy) to repair a legitimate copy of XP (already installed on computer) that i would not need a key or activation procedure. But it did.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
A repair install runs mostly the same as a fresh install, you would need the product key

TomTomTom

TomTomTom

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Ok, right. But when it prompted me to activate, I couldn't sign onto my DSL, so I had to call.
I read the activation number that appeared in the window, but instead of the computer voice giving me a new key, a live operator came on.
The tech tried to talk me through changing my key, and the first step was to enter the old key. But I kept entering it, and getting an error message.
That is why I'm assuming I need the key from the reapir (copied) CD, since the legit key from the original install was not accepted.
thanks for your continued help by the way. Very appreciative

TomTomTom

TomTomTom

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Also, another strange thing is when I tried the system restore in Safe Mode, it showed NO restore dates in bold, and instead of saying "select a date" instead it said There are no restore dates available. For some reason, it's not restoring every 24 hours like it should.