Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Print Spooler problem

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Not sure why you entered the old key, you should have read the first set then got a new set to enter

Advertisements

TomTomTom

TomTomTom

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
After I read the first set, there was some kind of problem. The computerized voicemail service dropped me, and then a human picked up,

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's try a parallel install and see what happens. This will require that you have a valid product key for WinXP Pro, which I assume you recovered from your machine's registry earlier and a WinXP Pro (genuine) installation cd. I would also recommend that you download DriverMax and see if you can run it on the current installation from the Safe Mode Admin account. If it runs, save the drivers to a folder on the C: drive.

What we will do is install Windows onto the same partition, but in a different directory. Until we are finished, you should be allowed to choose which operating system to start. Using the new installation, you will be able to recover your data from the old install and move it to the new. After that is done and we're sure we have everything, we can remove the old installation and make it boot directly to the new one.

If you have everything you need, we can begin.

TomTomTom

TomTomTom

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Well, we did it !
I had a friend come by and swap drives (or something techincal like that) just to boot up Windows.
When it came up, it asked me activation again, and I was ready to punch the monitor. But I called MS again, and this time I got no problem. The only difference was that the techie asked me if my XP was an upgrade, and I said yes, cuz when I got the machine it had already been upgraded from Millenium to XP.
Yesterday, the tech assumed I was doing something illegal, but today the guy realized it was a legal upgrade I was running.
He gave me a new key and I got into Windows.
It reverted back to an earlier version or something, cuz my friend played with the hard drives.
So I lost a month or two worth of unimportant files, but the good news is that my printer is back ! No spooler problems.
Thank you all for all your help.

Your suggestion to use an XP cd to repair the spooler damage was correct!! Thank you thank you thank you. It just took me 2 days for the rapair to work cuz MS thought I was scamming them.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok Glad you are going
Now you need to start Internet explorer & go to Tools then windows update.
Make sure everything is updated.