Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is my computer infected? *FIXED*

• Please log in to reply

guyonphone

guyonphone

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Ok, I have a friend who has a laptop connected directly to his cable modem, when i look at the connection status it shows billions of packets sent, Immediatly, and it keeps climbing. I have 2 laptops exactly the same. (gateway 450rog) One laptop has this problem the other dosen't. When i connect my computer through my wirless router the problem goes away. But when directly connected to the modem this problem arises, I have run avg 7.1, 7.5, and live onecare. I have run Hijack this and got rid of anything that looks suspicious, I ran sysinternals autoruns, and removed everything that runs with windows, plus some missing files. I ran ethereal, on his computer through which im running vnc, and it picked up only 2000 packets in and out, but in that time the connection status jumped a billion. For the life of me i cant figure out whats happening does anyone have any ideas? I can post logs if necissary. thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• packets_sent.JPG

Edited by guyonphone, 25 November 2006 - 04:26 AM.

Advertisements

guyonphone

guyonphone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I personally think that the windows connection status is reporting wrong, and that it only reports wrong with the intel nic on this computer. Does anyone know what the correlation between this counter and the nic/nic drivers are?

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Is this XP?

Got to Start>run>cmd>enter

type ipconfig when connected to the net

You should see your IP address

type ping xxx.xx.xxx.xxx

Were xxx.xx.xxx.xxx is you IP address

Do you receive all four packets?

guyonphone

guyonphone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Yes it is XP, and yes it is in the form xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. I am not running ip v6 or anything wierd like that.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
What do you mean?

ipconfig and ping are commands for the command prompt and are integrated into windows, just follow the steps in post #3 please.

-OCM770-

guyonphone

guyonphone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
sorry my appologies, i read that wrong.

I pinged my ip address, yes i got 4 replies.

guyonphone

guyonphone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I fixed my problem! heres what was happening, After much trial and error and using ethereal packet snifer, i concluded that the computer was not sending out that many packets, also my computer would be dead slow. I had already tried uninstalling the nic drivers and letting xp reinstall on reboot. But just to try it, i downloaded some new drivers from intel for my pro 100ve nic, and that fixed it. the old driver was misreporting some how.