Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Blaster Live 5.1

• Please log in to reply

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Hey there geeks!

Some years ago when i was 10 or so my dads Dell desktop got killed by humidity (or at least the CD drive and MOBO did....) the only parts that survived and where tested to see if they worked were the Hard drive (40gb) and a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 audio card, the thing is i want to use that card with my currently running XP Compaq Presario SR1020LA. The card uses one PCI slot which i can afford. Also, i unsottered a cap from there to fix my dads mouse, thats no big deal, i can sotter another one on there. My one and only big worry is the following: jumpers, when my dad let me take apart his machine i had no mercy i took out everything and broke some stuff :whistling: and amazingly i didn't do anything to this card, or so i thought, the card has a series of jumpers that i might have moved, also there are pins where there may have been some jumpers :blink: . I might (and probably did) move the jumpers around and now i want to set them to there original places, anyone know were they go? Or a diagram or something?

-OCM770-

P.S. Can you tell i like details?

Edited by -OCM770-, 24 November 2006 - 04:22 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could ask here

http://forums.creati...id=soundblaster

You will need the driver / software CD for the card, they are not usually available online

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Driver is not a problem, i already got it from Creative but, the jumpers are confusing, im trying to search for images on the web to guide me but it's hard to find the right card, any ideas???

-OCM770-

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
They should help in the soundblaster forum as the tech staff look over it, if not, I will take a picture of mine :whistling:

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
You have a CT4780 Sound Blaster Live card? Please do take a picture and post it, i need to be able to look at all the pins so if you can make it a big image please

Thanks Keith, -OCM770-

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I have a live drive platinum, this is yours, which bit do you need to see

[attachment=11831:attachment]

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
There are two spots on the card which say JP, one is JP1 and the other JP2, after looking at images i already set JP2 which is under the top right of the card where it says Sound Blaster Live! the other (JP1) is located on top of the digital output but, the sound card you are showing is Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Gamer and therefor does not have JP1.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
By the way, this card is an OEM Dell 5.1 digital sound card, is it ok if i install it on a Compaq presario SR1020LA and use the Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Digital (Dell) driver form the creative website?

-OCM770-

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is this it?

http://images.creati...k/hires_5.1.jpg

The live drive would be different?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's something they would answer, they are quite goos with support, the other option is to try it, it won't run if it is wrong, you would get an error saying the hardware for this driver is not installed

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
No, i'll see if i can take a picture and post it here so we can see which jumper i am talking about. How do i attach one as a thumbnail like the one in post #6?

I'm getting my camera now, be back in 5min.

-OCM770-

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click add reply, then below the text box, click browse, click add this attachment, click add in to post

If it is above 2MB then use image shack and post the link

http://www.imageshack.us/

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
My cameras battery is dead and i can't find my useless webcam thanks to the maid but the card is like this one: http://ww6.tiki.ne.j...arts/ct4780.jpg I'll look for a bigger one, sorry :whistling:

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
I'm ready to install the card.... anything i should know before doing it? also i am missing the CD_IN and CD_SPIF cables, is that a problem???

-OCM770-

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Just to add my 2 cents worth, i have a SB live CT4830 that i pulled out of a older computer i was splitting up for parts. I never changed the jumper on the card and the JP1 jumper is on the 2 and 3 pins. It is working that way in another old computer i stuck it in. There is also 2 rows of pins( one set of 10 pins and one set of 28 pins) on the inside end for external audio, but there are no jumpers or anything on those 2 sets of pins. This card does not have the CD-spdif connector but has a place for it on the board. The CD-IN is for analog audio direct from the cdrom drive to the card, while the CD-SPDIF is for Digital audio from the cdrom drives. I seldom hook either one of these up.
SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 25 November 2006 - 12:51 PM.