Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

kernel32.exe crash with usbguard.exe

• Please log in to reply

GeorgeCO

GeorgeCO

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi geeks,

I have Remora USB Fileguard (v. 1.9) (from www.richskills.com) installed on a 1 GB USB stick. The application creates an encrypted folder on a memory stick. The application runs properly on three machines: one running Win2K and two others running WinXP with SP2.

However, on a fourth machine also running WinXP(Home)SP2, USB FileGuard crashes every time I try to start it. I get an error message "usbguard.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience". The "Error signature" in the report generated for Microsoft shows the following info:

Appname:usbguard.exe
AppVer.0.0.0.0
ModName: kernel32.exe
ModVer:5.1.2600.2945
Offset: 00012a5b

Any idea what is causing Fileguard to crash, and more importantly, how to solve it? I am not getting any kernel32 error in any other application.

I had previously posted this question on the USB Fileguard Forum at www.richskills.com, but they said they could not help me solve the problem because it was not a general issue.

Thanks.

gc

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
on that offending system, do you have issues with other usb devices. In patictular usb memory drives without the software installed on them. It could be that the memory stick is having compataility issues with this system. I have seen similiar issues with some usb drives.

GeorgeCO

GeorgeCO

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

on that offending system, do you have issues with other usb devices. In patictular usb memory drives without the software installed on them. It could be that the memory stick is having compataility issues with this system. I have seen similiar issues with some usb drives.

Starjax,

Thanks for responding. The USB devices work flawlessly. The issue is limited to that particular application on that particular system.

I have confirmed the above by installing the application, (Remora USB Fileguard) on the Local Drive C: of the problem system and obtained identical results.

I suspect that the problem is a conflict, or other fault with a component of Windows XP. I thought of doing a repair installation of Windows, but worry that it could cause more problems that it solves. This is why I need your (and other geek to go) assistance in zeroing in on the problem.

Thanks again.

gc