Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Folder view won't stay

• Please log in to reply

wright3279

wright3279

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I like the object in a folder to be in icon view but every time I boot uo, they've changed to tiles view. How can I make it stick/

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Try this:
1. Control Panel (switch to Classic View if it's not already).
2. click 'folder options'.
3. click the 'view' tab.
4. Scroll down to "Remember each folder's view settings" and tick it.
5. Click 'OK'

wright3279

wright3279

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I've already done that. I can't find a setting anywhere that will help. Actually 2 things happen every time I reboot: The icons scatter because "Align to grid" gets checked even though I had it unchecked and inside each folder the view changes from icon to tile. I change all back and it happens again the next time I reboot. I'm going to try hibernate for a while instead of shutting down and see how that works. Thanks.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Join in with my problem, if you'd like...we may have the same issue at hand...

"How can I hold XP's folder options? "

wright3279

wright3279

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
For now I've solved the problen by creating another user account. I had to rebuild my desktop and a fix few other settings, even reinstall a few programs. But so far, the view settings hold.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
This same prob is explored in my other site at...

http://www.geekstogo...mp;#entry849122

When you open a new account, can you not leave the desktop.ini alone, then when it has settled down, copy the old desktop.ini into the user account folder at that point? Do this in Safe mode Admin settings if it won't copy otherwise...

I've not tried this before [no need] but is sounds logical to me... and what else might be copied over, changed, altered...basically, to save time in setting up a whole new desktop...

What do the rest of you think...?