Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Serious Error

• Please log in to reply

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi there,

Every now and again my PC will automatically reboot itself, no "windows is shutting down" It will just restart itself.

When I log back in again, a message pops up saying "Windows has recovered from a serious error".

I have no idea what all the stuff inside this error report means, but I have posted 2 pictures to try and help you help me. :whistling:

untitled.JPG

Error_Report2.JPG

It is quite werid and I have no idea what is making it happen. For example it just happened a few minutes ago while I was playing a game.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Bobbobagan

Edited by bobbobagan, 24 November 2006 - 06:35 PM.

Advertisements

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Has it happened when you are not playing a game?

--bmwboy

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
an idea, since those are temp files which you don't need one could start by clearing out the temp folder

deleting internet cookies, files and history

- press the keyboard buttons: winkey + r
- paste in the slot: inetcpl.cpl
- press: enter
- click: delete cookies
- click: delete file
- click: clear history

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
give this a try

CAUSE
You may receive this error message when Windows attempts to use device drivers that are incompatible with Windows XP.
Back to the top

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, verify that each device in your computer uses a driver that is compatible with Windows XP. To do so, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. In the System Properties dialog box, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
3. For each device, use the following steps to verify that it is using a Windows XP-compatible driver.NOTE: To narrow down the search, begin with devices that have been disabled. A disabled device has its icon overlaid with a red X.

a. Double-click the device name to open the device Properties dialog box, and then click the Driver tab.
b. Examine the driver version. All Windows XP drivers should be version 5.1.2600 or later.
c. If you are not sure about the displayed version, examine the driver date. Drivers created before the year 2001 may not be compatible with Windows XP.

4. After you identify an outdated device driver that may be causing the problem, follow these steps to update the driver:a. Insert your Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM drive. If Setup starts automatically, quit it.
b. In the device Properties dialog box, click Update Driver to start the Hardware Update Wizard.
c. Click Install from a list or specific location (Advanced), and then click Next.
d. Click to select the Include this location in the search box, and then type your CD-ROM drive letter in the space below. For example, type D:.
e. Click Next.
f. Follow the on-screen instructions to finish updating the driver.

5. Restart your computer if prompted.

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I recently installed AnyDVD by slysoft, and both times ive tried using that program windows has restarted, although I have only installed AnyDVD today, so something else is causing it aswell.

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Rushin1nd, My HDD is out of date, it is version 5.1.2535.0 and the date is 1/07/2001. I inserted my Windows XP disc as you said, and done the update driver thing, but the wizard said it could not find a newer version for an update.

now what?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
is this a online game or a game you installed

dont comprimise your computer with games

guyonphone

guyonphone

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
check your ram dude, download microsofts memory diagnostic here

http://oca.microsoft.../en/windiag.asp

no matter what your doing this should not happen to your computer. The fact that its just turning off seems to suggest its not just a software issue.

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I know its not the game coz ive had the game on my pc for many years. but the game is Counter-Strike source.

But like I said before, it happened also with AnyDVD.

Could it be a virus or domething?

guyonphone

guyonphone

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
did you check your ram? did you get passes? when it ran the tests?

Advertisements

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
It may be the computer overheating, but that doesn't explain why the things in the recovery logs are turning up.

~Matt

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
No I have not yet checked my RAM. I dont want to waste a CD so when I go out later today I will buy a Floopy Disc. (I like to use my CDs for music :whistling:)

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
OK... the problem has gotten a heck of a lot worse... I just booted up my PC about 20 minutes ago and during start up (after I had logged in) I got blue screened, telling me windows has stopped a serious error and will now shut down.

I now have another window in front of me telling me windows has recovered from a serious error, I will show you what is in the error report below. I have no idea if its any different from the original one I gave at the start of this post.

error4.JPG

I will do a virus, spyware and a trojan scan. I was also wondering if I should do a backup of my pc? (Would this be wise? Because there is something wrong with it)

Does anyone know what to do now? the problems getting worse by the day lol!

Note: I just saved over one of the pictures (oops) so I only have one of them now >.<

guyonphone

guyonphone

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Ok try 2 things,

1. If this is a windows issue and not a hardware issue just reinstall Not worth the headache of not having your computer work. You can try an inplace install if you want that could fix things http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

2. I honestly believe this is a hardware problem, eat the 13 cents a cd costs and check your ram. :-)

(that sounded kinda mean, but it wasnt intended to be)

Edited by guyonphone, 04 December 2006 - 03:00 PM.

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Lol yeh ok... I will... I think it could be my RAM aye, coz the blue screen did say to remove any newly installed software. Not to worry though... I am getting some new RAM very shortly.