Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Serious Error

• Please log in to reply

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
go to your control panel from start menu...system...hardware....device manager ...are there any yellow red marks or warnings

did you recently install any type of new hardware.

are you getting any ...STOP ERRORS ALONG WITH BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH

Advertisements

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
haha... yeh there were some stop errors, unfoutunatly* I never wrote them down (silly me), I was to freaked out and just wanted to restart my pc to see if it would work.

I have not recently installed any new hardware, Ill check the device manager, hang on..... lol

Nope nothing there... everything seems to be 'normal'... no red or yellow warning signs flashing out at me saying IM BROKEN!!! lol

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Ok, if there is a next BSOD write down the STOP codes as those will help us fix your problem.When did this start?? I see you are using Window Blinds or a hacked uxtheme.dll. Did the problem happen after these or have they been happening before installing those?

-OCM770

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
for starters, how did you know that :S even though its beside the point of what we are trying to fix... I think we have figured out that it is not software, it is my RAM starting to fail... or that is what I am gathering... am I right? :S

And what is uxtheme.dll? is that the way my windows XP looks? coz if so its the Vista theme lol

Edited by bobbobagan, 04 December 2006 - 09:32 PM.

guyonphone

guyonphone

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
bobbobagan,
we dont absolutley *know* this is a ram issue it is very possible your ram is fine, dont go buy new ram until you test your current ram. I think this is a hardware issue (i could be wrong, its been known to happen) and if its hardware, bad ram fits most of your symptoms.

Its a troubleshooting step my friend. at the very least if you do buy new ram and it turns out to be not a ram issue make sure you can take it back.

Edited by guyonphone, 05 December 2006 - 02:49 PM.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
uxtheme.dll is the dll that is in charge of the windows' themes or .msstyles files. If you don't know what uxtheme.dll is then your probably using window blinds or StyleXP. I know this because you are running XP and have a vista appearance, this can be done by hacking the uxtheme.dll or installing a program like window blinds. You can not download a .msstyles and just place it in your windows resource folder as windows' uxtheme.dll will check if it's signed by Microsoft, and if it doesn't approve then you can't use it :whistling:

But back to your problem, guyonphone is right, don't buy new RAM yet. I don't think this is a RAM issue. Also after researching your problem it seems you might have gotten this STOP code: STOP 0x0000008E. I will look into it.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Ok ,my bad, it looks as if it is a RAM issue. have you tried running memtest? If you haven't then you should, that will help us determine if your RAM is to blame. Also, if you have more than one RAM module, try taking one out and try with one then the pther.

-OCM770-

guyonphone

guyonphone

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
microsoft windows memory diagnostic can be found here.

http://oca.microsoft.../en/windiag.asp

guyonphone

guyonphone

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
microsoft windows memory diagnostic can be found here.

http://oca.microsoft.../en/windiag.asp

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
OK I will try this memory test thing I downloaded a few days ago, I just put it on floopy... watch this space for an awnser!!!

Advertisements

guyonphone

guyonphone

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
If your using windows memory diagnostic

its wierd to look at, at first, but basically it will boot to the program and instantly start running, it will run 6 tests by default, and after each test in the middle box it will tell you if the ram succeeded in green, or failed in red. if you get any fails you instantly know you have bad ram. Your ram should pass every test. If you want to run the extended tests hit the "T" button on your keyboard and it will start them. I think it then does 12 tests.

Attached Thumbnails

• winmemdiag.jpg

Edited by guyonphone, 05 December 2006 - 07:39 PM.

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
yeh I just done the 6... and it came back as no errors found (I was using the windows memory diagnostics test) Does this mean it could still be my RAM? Mabye it is just failing sometimes?

guyonphone

guyonphone

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
no prolly not a ram issue, but this stinks of a hardware issue. so a few more questions/options.

1. Matty could be right, its very possible that your computer is overheating. (this would make since since your prob seems to occur when taxing the system i.e games / dvd decoding)
2. Possible bad power supply. (if power supply you will see the problem increasing with time)
3. is this a laptop or desktop?

this stinks of a hardware issue. Because the computer is not rebooting itself, ist just turning itself off, this usually happens when the mobo is trying to protect itself from damage eithier by heat, or by improper voltage.

Edited by guyonphone, 05 December 2006 - 09:33 PM.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Download speedfan (i'll get a link) and tell us what the fan speeds are, the voltages and the temps that it detects. This will determine if it's a bad power supply, but yes, i agree with guyonphone, this does stink like a hardware issue.

-OCM770-

*EDIT* LINK: http://www.almico.com/speedfan431.exe *EDIT*

Edited by -OCM770-, 06 December 2006 - 05:45 PM.

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
The fan speed is changing sometimes from 5114 RPM down to around 2000 RPM. But is now holding at 5114 RPM

Fan 2 and 3 are at 0, so im assuming that means I dont have a 2nd or 3rd fan?

Ill post a screen shot below:

speed_fan.JPG