Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking For A Good KVM Switch

• Please log in to reply

BoomShake007

BoomShake007

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I haven't used a KVM switch before, but find myself in need of one. I've got one keyboard and mouse (both USB), one monitor (accepts both VGA and DVI), and one set of speakers. I have a Macbook which I currently connect to my monitor via DVI. I also have a desktop which I connect to the monitor via VGA. I switch the display inputs with the button on the monitor, so that's not such a big deal. However, physically moving the keyboard and mouse back and forth is a real nuisance with the way my desk and stuff is orientated, so I am in search of some sort of switch. I just need a solid USB and audio switch for 2 computers. If it does DVI too and doesn't cost my first born, great, but I could save some money and not worry about that. I can deal with a manual button/switch; I don't necessarily need hotkeys.

I've searched the web for reviews and read most of them on newegg. What I've gotten is very mixed reviews of some of the products and very few reviews of others, so I'm in uncharted territory. I really worry about dropped signal or random switches, as many say their keyboard or mouse stop responding or it switches without them pushing the button.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

tiek101

tiek101

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I just got an Iogear KVM Switch (model GCS62) from Radio Shack of all places, and it works great. It says it will not work with USB connections however, I used an USB to PS/2 adapter for my mouse (wireless keyboard/mouse receiver) and it works fine. I'm not sure if this will fill your needs but for $20. it makes my life so much easier.
-Keith

BoomShake007

BoomShake007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
sorry I haven't replied for a while.
hmm. any signal/speed/response degradation due to the converter?

any other suggestions?

evilwizard

evilwizard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
LinksKey Slim KVM switch and other brands at Newegg..

http://www.newegg.com\

Works well with both PS2 mouse & keyboard and USB...

Edited by evilwizard, 28 November 2006 - 11:51 AM.