Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

config_list_failed

• Please log in to reply

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I believe the laptop was very low on memory and now it won't but up. Attempting to boot up ends up in the infamous blue screen with the error: config_list_failed. How can I free up memory if I can't boot up? Thanks.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
have you tried adding more ram

another memory stick inside your computer

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
config_list_failed -- either insufficient RAM (though unlikely if system was previously working okay with same amount of RAM), or getting too low on hard disk space. That's more likely since disk space is reduced over time as you install more software and updates.

See if you can boot into Windows safe mode (tap F8 as soon as PC is switched on, choose "safe mode" or "safe mode with networking" if the first option fails. When in Windows, go to Add/Remove Programs and see what unused software can be uninstalled (as much as possible). Then try a normal re-boot. If Windows boots normally, it's now time to have a look at how many documents, images or music files can be copied to CD/DVD and then delete the originals, otherwise it won't be long before the problem comes up again.

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
i think it's definitely the disk space, but i can't boot up in any safe mode. no matter what option i pick it results in the same error.

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Download a DOS boot disk (I recommend downloading the Windows ME custom :
http://www.briggsoft.com/fmdos.htm

Go ahead and make a bootable floppy with it (there are instructions on the site).

Then put the floppy in your ill computer and boot up. It should go strait to the DOS tool, if not then you are going to need to change the settings in your BIOS to boot from floppy disk before hard drive. When your computer starts, you will see a screen that says "Hit __ to enter BIOS" or something of that nature. It's usually del, esc, or one of the f keys but it varies from each computer. Hit that key, and once in BIOS look around until you find where you can edit the boot order. Change it so that floppy is first (usually by using the arrow keys). Make sure to save and exit, then restart the computer.

Once you manage to boot into the DOS tool, you're going to have to manually delete files.

This is a bit tricky and you need to be careful you don't delete anything important.

First, let's get into your Documents.

If your operating system is Windows 95, then type:
cd C:\Windows\Personal\
If your operating system is Windows 98 or ME, then type:
cd C:\My Documents\
If your operating system is Windows ME, 2000, or XP, then type:
cd C:\Documents and Settings\PUT YOUR USERNAME HERE\My Documents\

You should now be in your My Documents folder. Type dir to view all the folders and files in My Documents. To delete a file:
del filename

For example, lets say theres a word document called "Family.doc" you want to delete. You just do:
del Family.doc

To delete a whole folder, instead of the del command use the rd command.

If you want to go in to sub folders and delete then type cd folder. For example, to go into "My Pictures" type cd My Pictures. Then type dir to see all files and folders.

Heres the 4 basic commands you are going to use...

cd - This changes the folder that you are in. For example, to get to the root C: folder, you would type: "cd C:\" (no quotes). Let's say you are viewing a subfolder and want to get back to the main folder. typing "cd .." will get you one folder up (ie from My Pictures to My Documents).
dir - This lists all the current folders in your directory. This is important to know what folders are inside the folder you are viewing.
del - This will delete a single file. BE CAREFUL DO NOT DELETE IMPORTANT OPERATING FILES
rd - This will delete a single folder. BE CAREFUL DO NOT DELETE FOLDERS LIKE C:\WINDOWS OR ANYTHING IMPORTANT!!!!

This is going to be difficult to do, you will have to find unneeded files by browsing with the cd and dir commands. You can do no harm with the cd and dir commands, so get comfortable with them. Once you find some files you want to delete, use the del command. I cannot stress the power of this del and rd tools. Don't make the problem worse. Any questions I'd be happy to answer.

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
great info., but i'll have to wait a bit to implement since i don't have access to a floppy drive at the moment. thx man.

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
i have my floppy and it's bootable, but now i can't change the boot order without a system supervisor password. in user mode i cannot change the boot order.

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
You don't know the BIOS password? There are two main ways to get by it, (1) using a backdoor password (probably wont work) or (2) resetting it by manually opening up your computer.

See this link for more info:
http://www.uktsuppor...rence/biosp.htm

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
well, I tried to reset the password by removing the laptop battery and backup battery.......well now they are both dead and in order to even try anything of the above i have to replace both the system battery and CMOS battery......i think i might as well replace the entire laptop......i thank you for your help.

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
By removing the laptop battery they are now dead? :whistling:

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
yes.....i don't know what happened.....i insert it back and i get the following:

ERROR 0271 - check date and time settings

ERROR 0251 -system CMOS checksum bad default configuration used

i googled and found that i need to replace the batteries.

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A similar message/blue screen occurred for me last night. "Config_List_Failed" at the top of the blue screen, and then further on down, under 'technical information', this:

*** STOP: 0x00000073 (0x00000001, 0xC000017D, 0x00000002, 0xF8165BB8)

Followed by the "beginning dump of physical memory" and then after a count up, "pysical memory dump complete."

I am not able to boot up into Windows at all. It's just a cycle no matter what option I choose.

I am running Windows XP Professional w/ Service Pack 2 on a newer Dell laptop. The laptop has no floppy drive. The problem occurred shortly after transfering about 350 full-res holiday photos to the laptop - assuming it has something to do with the issue (?). But in any event...

I tried booting in all 3 safe modes with no luck. I then tried to boot to the "Last Known Good Configuration" option to no avail.

Any suggestions for my next step? Again, the laptop doesn't have a flopyy drive. My only other computer is a PowerMac G4 running OS 10.3.9.

saberus

saberus

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This problem can also be caused by a FAT32 partition.
If you run the windows xp installation and try to install on top of the existing installation, it gives an option to convert to NTFS, once that is done, it will force a reboot.

After reboot, Windows comes up normally. :)

Hope it works for you like it did for me!
Good luck!

adammaher

adammaher

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hey i tried that a bunch of times and the safe modes dont work!

what should i do?