Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Lots of programs on startup running in the background

• Please log in to reply

inite

inite

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
I lag [bleep] bad whenever i turn on my comp. MSN takes close to 30 seconds to show up, and when it shows how many emails i've, it lags the whole system up.

I ran autoruns (software) and i can see a whole list of items that is set to run when windows boot. Is there any way i can remove those i dont need it to run, or at least, allow it to run in a faster manner.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Yes you can disable some of the programs that start with windows. I disable all but my Anti Virus and other security software. You can see how by following Tweak #7 is the Easy XP Tweaks http://www.geekstogo...s...st&p=361361

If you computer is slow you could try some of the other tweaks. I am presuming that your computer is clean and has no infections.

Edited by Michael, 25 November 2006 - 07:16 AM.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Thats a nice thrend with lots of useful infos! Ty

However, i've already known of this trick, and done it in the past. But autorun shows a whole new list of items that runs in the background which im not sure which is safe to disable, and which is not.

Any advice on this?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Can you link to a place I can download autorun, so I can check out just what your seeing. I googled it but as I expected most of the results were about the autorun.inf file.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Sure.

http://www.microsoft...s/Autoruns.mspx

This is the one

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Very interesting program, but I don't think you should go playing with it. You could potently make your computer slower. There all just registry keys, since I have never seen a tweaking guides that recommends removing them I am presuming it is not a good idea to do so.

What is your computer like memory and processor wise?

And are you 100% sure your free of malware? Who long has it been going like this? How old is the computer, and what operating system?

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Ya, im free from malwares. 3 years old comp. Its not too terribly laggy, just the start, after that, its decent, cept slightly slow on Opera's browsing on the net.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I don't suppose this computer has ever been formated in that 3 year life, all windows operating system do slow done over time. So it being "laggy" is not unexpected.

I decided continue this thread via PM, as some of what we might post could cause problems to other that find it via Google. I post the results once we are done.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Alright cool, ty.