Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Defragmenter won't work...virus?

• Please log in to reply

BADlactose

BADlactose

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i'm not used to computer jargon so I hope this makes sense to somebody.

Everytime I try to open Disk Defragmenter, a "Windows Explorer Has Encountered Serious Problems" windows appears. Then the defragmenter closes.

Also, everytime I try to open Automatic Updates in Security Center, a window appears saying "An exception occurred while trying to run c:\\windows\system32\shell32.dll.Control_RunDLL C:\windows\system32\wscui.cpl"

Some of the icons in my windows toolbar keep on disappearing

And twice I've seen the "Dr. Watson Post Mortem" error window pop up.

I've tried cleaning my registry with REGCURE and that seemed to fix it, but the problems returned after I restarted my computer.

I also tried to scan my computer using Norton, AdAware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Spysweeper.

I would appreciate any help
Thank you

Edited by BADlactose, 25 November 2006 - 03:29 AM.

Advertisements

guyonphone

guyonphone

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
has your computer been real slow lately? especially loading the start menu?

I think you might have a harddrive that is starting to fail. do this:

Click on start > control panel> administrative tools > event viewer

on the left pane click on "system"

on the right you will see a lot of stuff. if you see a bunch of white speech bubbles with an i in them your ok.
but if you see hundreds of red circles with a white x then click on one of them and if it says bad sector, replace your drice asap.
(i wanted to wait to give this info, but im going to bed) your problem may be something entirely diffrent

Edited by guyonphone, 25 November 2006 - 07:16 AM.

BADlactose

BADlactose

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your help Guyonphone,

I checked the event viewer and I found red x's that date to about 3 days ago.
I've clicked on several and none of them say bad sector. A window just pops up with event properties

What should I do :whistling:

Edited by BADlactose, 25 November 2006 - 11:01 AM.

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.