Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need advice upgrading my graphics card

• Please log in to reply

Landers Bisson

Landers Bisson

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi, I've been looking for quite a while to upgrade my video card, and I think I will do it at Xmas. I do not wanna go for PCIe yet, I still want to stay in AGP for now (I don't mind not being able to play the latest games at full settings).

I searched a bit and found out that my best bet from a GeForce FX 5200 would be a GeForce 7600 GT, the price for a 7800 being way too high. The card had very nice reviews on it (for example over CNET.com and GPUReview).

I would like you guys to tell me if I am making a good choice, for I am not very experienced in upgrading my system (I only replaced RAM and my PSU once).

Also, I cannot seem to find this card anywhere in Canada. It is never in stock. Will it be available before Xmas?

Thanks a lot :whistling:!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
From the details in your profile:

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.60GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1536MB RAM
Hard Drive: 122 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Monitor: Écran Plug-and-Play
Sound Card: Realtek AC97 Audio
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition

Your graphics card is definitely the weakest link and you will notice a huge improvement in replacing it with, well, any other relatively recent card really :whistling: