Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Card problem

• Please log in to reply

ineedmymusic

ineedmymusic

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This is a weird problem. Yesterday when I restarted my computer there was no sound. :whistling:
The speaker icon in the corner disappeared and so I tried opening it through Control Panel and got this message:

There are no mixer devices available. To install a mixer device go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware and click Add Hardware.

This Program will now close.

I tried doing what it said no luck.

I had a look at the settings under the Sound section on Control Panel it says No Audio Devices and everything it just greyed out.

I searched google and many people suggested having a look at Device Manager to see if there's a problem with the sound card and there isn't. I have tried updating the driver, no luck. I'm not sure what else to do. Windows Audio is running when I checked service.msi. Any Operating System sounds come from the main PC units in the form of beeps. I have tried system restory all ready. Could any suggest a fix?

My sound card is Realtek AC97
My operating system is Windows XP
Realtek has the latest drivers
My PC is a HP t430.uk

Thank You

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I take it this is Realtek AC97 on board audio? If you go to start, my computer, right click properties, device manager, do you see a yellow ! next to any of the items under sound, video and game controllers? If you right click on audio codecs, properties, doe it say the device is working properly?

StaticRed

StaticRed

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
from what you wrote i think you have said you have checked device manager and it says everything is ok.. i had the same problem.
check your bios to make sure the Realtek AC97 is enabled. i spent a day trying to get the sound working in a pc . downloading drivers and so on and all that was wrong was it some how got turned off in bios.

heres how to get in to your bios incase you dont know how.. {quoted from Armic}

Normally the key to press is f2 or del, If you keep tapping these 2 keys as soon as you turn the pc on, then the odds are that it will take you to the bios.

OR

As your pc is first booting, it may display something like Press del to enter setup, this is what you must do. If you do see this screen, you must be quick to press the key, or the pc will begin to boot windows.

The audio options will either be in the 'Advanced' menu or the 'integrated peripherals' menu. The audio can be enabled there.

Dont forget to save the changes as you exit. (press f10 for this option).

Edited by StaticRed, 25 November 2006 - 11:11 AM.

ineedmymusic

ineedmymusic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi thanks for the fast replies guys!

Yes, it's an on board audio device. I have checked on Device Manager Realtek AC97 is fine and so is the Audio Codecs but the Device Usage on the Codec is greyed out and the location of it is unknown. I'm not sure if that's bad.

I have also checked the bios and it all enabled there.

Thanks anyways but still no sound :whistling: I'm missing it already.

Any more suggestions are appreciated. I hope I don't need a new sound card!

Edited by ineedmymusic, 25 November 2006 - 03:52 PM.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I found some good info (well, it will be if it fixes your problem!) over at HP
http://h10025.www1.h...n...7588&dlc=en

more info
http://h10025.www1.h...t...ng=en&cc=us

How old is your system? I had an ancient PIII HP that I needed info on and sent a request to HP via their web page and they answered! If the above does not solve the problem, send hp a question by their web tech support.

ineedmymusic

ineedmymusic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I've looked at the HP site and none of the suggestions on there have worked so I'm going to e-mail them but I have one more question. Under Sound, Speech, and Audio Devices Properties, I've been looking at the Hardware I have listed:
  • Realtek Audio AC97
  • Audio Codecs
  • Legacy Audio Drivers
  • Audio Codecs
  • Audio Codecs
  • Legacy Audio Drivers
  • Media Control Devices
  • Legacy Video Capture Devices
  • Video Codecs
All of them seem to be working but on the second Legacy Audio Drivers and Legacy Video Capture Devices the Properties section is blank and all the other ones have files listed in the Properties section. Am I missing something for these to or is this normal?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
The Legacy audio and video show exactly the same way in my system. My device manager says they are working properly and properties shows blank like you describe. I would say this is normal. Lets see what HP has to say

ineedmymusic

ineedmymusic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, still waiting for a reply from HP but I've discovered something that may change everything. I was looking at the Direct X stuff and I tested my sound. What do you know, I can hear the music but why doesn't the rest of Windows XP detect the sound device? :blink: :whistling: