Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Software to compare files

• Please log in to reply

dlw

dlw

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
As a writer I save, save, save.
Is there a software program (preferably open source, free) that can compare files?
Example: I use GQView in Linux to compare photographs and it returns a percentage.

Thanks,
dlw

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Can you give a little more info as to what you want that description is a little vague.

dlw

dlw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Thanks for replying.

Are you familar with the program 'gqview' in linux? As an amature photographer I use it extensively. It compares photos in a directory then gives a percentage of how similar the photos are. If 2 or more photos are identical it returns 100%, if a little different; maybe 98% or 96%, etc.

I store my writing under a date format such as 'nameoffile-11-28-06'. Then, change the name to a new date when the file is edited. Well, over time there can be many files with different dates. Some of these files will have minor editing while others may have considerable. Comparing the number of bytes in a file does not tell me what I want to know.

I need to know how much the context, the wording of the file changed. For example; I edit a paragraph and the edited paragraph tripples in size. Knowing the difference in bytes tells me nothing because editing in another file may make both files about the same size in bytes. One file may have little editing where another has extensive editing but both files are the same size in bytes.

In Open Office Writer, you can compare one file to another and the changes shows in a different color font. That's great and a big help. However, when I need to compare several files it's extremely time consuming to do so.

Maybe a program that counts the number of times a word is used then compares that total to the totals of other files then gives a percentage of change between each file.

If this doesn't help let me know and I'll try again.

What Im asking may not exist and can't exist due to its complexity. This may be something that could be added to existing word processors.

It never hurts to ask.

Thanks again,
dlw

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is this close?

http://winmerge.org/