Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ATAPI. What is it?

• Please log in to reply

maaaark

maaaark

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello

I have a mobo insisting on having an ATAPI comptatible drive. What is an ATAPI drive?

What does it stand for?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
ATAPI
Short for AT Attachment Packet Interface, an extension to EIDE (also called ATA-2) that enables the interface to support CD-ROM players and tape drives.

EIDE
Enhanced IDE, a newer version of the IDE mass storage device interface standard developed by Western Digital Corporation. It supports data rates of between 4 and 16.6 MBps, about three to four times faster than the old IDE standard. In addition, it can support mass storage devices of up to 8.4 gigabytes, whereas the old standard was limited to 528 MB. Because of its lower cost, enhanced EIDE has replaced SCSI in many areas.

EIDE is sometimes referred to as Fast ATA or Fast IDE, which is essentially the same standard, developed and promoted by Seagate Technologies. It is also sometimes called ATA-2.

There are four EIDE modes defined. The most common is Mode 4, which supports transfer rates of 16.6 MBps. There is also a new mode, called ATA-3 or Ultra ATA, that supports transfer rates of 33 MBps.

http://www.stanford....apuntz/ide.html

SRX660

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi Mark

I guess you're referring to that old chestnut of a message which comes up during the boot process: "Non-atapi compatible cd drive detected. press F1 to continue".

My grandson's PC is one such example. Although the cd-rom drive works fine after you press F1 to continue loading Windows, so I've never bothered investigating a remedy and he's quite happy to press F1.

Now, here's my take on the issue. years ago, early single-speed or x2 speed cd-rom drives did not meet the atapi specification. Fitted to a more modern system, these old drives would cause the error message.
I guess that applies to my grandson's PC as the cd drive is nearly as old as me!

One other possibility is that the slave/master configuration jumper on the back of the cd drive is in the wrong position for your particular system layout. If the drive is set to be 'slave' (most are supplied with the jumper in this position) yet it's the only drive on that particular IDE cable, the jumper should actually be changed to the 'master' position. The fact that it still works when the jumper is set wrong is solely because there's no other drive sharing that data cable. But it does trigger an error at boot-up.

Edited by pip22, 25 November 2006 - 02:17 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This error can also be caused by a faulty IDE cable.

maaaark

maaaark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi

You expressed what I thought. However, as I have many older drives, I wonder how I can identify whether they are ATAPI compliant or not, if newer motherboards require that.

Mark

maaaark

maaaark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I changed the cable and it worked, but I would like to know in advance whether a drive is ATAPI or not