Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dual Core advantages

• Please log in to reply

maaaark

maaaark

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello

I assume that Dual Core cpus are better because the idea is that there are two sub cores, providing extra power, but is this truly the case? What makes them faster?

Do they (dual core cpus) require DDR2? Are the bus speeds of Dual core therefore higher?

Mark

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres Intels take on speed differences between the old pentium 4, the pentium D, and the Core 2 Duo.

http://www.intel.com...ghome/index.htm

Personaly i have worked with a Core2 Duo computer and while it is better to me it is only slightly faster than the pentium D. Perhaps i am the bottleneck in its performance now( the operator). Yes, the newer processors need the newest motherboards and they all seem to be setup for DDR2-533 memory and higher although there are a few boards that can use DDR400 memory.

SRX660

maaaark

maaaark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
A new development seems to be SLI, where you can effectively have two graphics board, so in effect two proc and two graphics. Interesting