Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tiger Woods PGA tour 05 EA Sports

• Please log in to reply

mond

mond

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Just installed Tiger woods game only to find it will not work.
First message reads..... The game does not support this video card.....
second message says......Direct X is reporting that there is not enough video memory to run the game

Q. what is video memory and where do I get some?

machine is Toshiba satellite A30-921 which is supposed to have ...RADEON 9000 graphics controller up to 128 MB DDR video RAM (UMA) !!!!

can anyone advis please as I have bought 2 other games but dont want to try them as I will not get a refund if I open them!

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
For video memory you need a graphics card, which you seem so can you run the game in "safe mode"

*Note* not running the computer in safe mode, running the game in safe mode.*Note*

-OCM770-

mond

mond

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
thanks for advice but how do I run in SAFE MODE ?
I have also looked at the help pages and it seems that my video driver may need upgrading!
DXDIAG tool has the following message

The system is using the generic video driver. Please install video driver provided by the hardware manufacturer.
To test DirectDraw functionality, click the "Test DirectDraw" button above.
Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer.

Any idea what this means? I ran the direct draw tests and it was ok
I also cannot view dvd although i believe i should be able to on this machine
could the problem be connected?

thanks in advance

ps Manufacturer not given on "device" but there is a number.... vga dll 5.01.2600.000

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
You're using a generic VGA driver which would explain why the game isn't working.

Go to the Toshiba support site, download and install the graphics card driver for your laptop.

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 26 November 2006 - 08:07 AM.

mond

mond

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
thanks, I cannot see a "graphics card driver" option on the downloads available (72 in total) has it got another name eg display driver??? I have already visited the ATI site and downloaded an update (driver?)
which is called 6-5_xp-2k_dd_32464 which I was hoping would help only to receive a message saying something similar to yours about needing a driver. I dont really know what a driver is (no Tiger Woods jokes please!) and when I search the toshiba web site downloads graphic card driver shows no results
I know I am in need of something but just cant quite find it
thanks for your patience....

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Video cards, graphics cards, display adapters are all the same thing.

mond

mond

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Well it took 90 minutes to download a ati display driver file from toshiba (dial up speed) and about 1 minute to loose it somewhere. It asked me if I wanted to open file after download so I said yes....and that was that and the game still does not work... same message about video memory
maybe I should forget about games or get a new pc - seems a bit drastic!
as my V21 Broadband connection was lost due to "financial dispute" I only have dialup which is not much good for downloading stuff..... about 2 and a half hours so far today and still none the wiser
thanks for your time though....

mond

mond

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I have located the file that I downloaded from toshiba(the ATI display driver), it is a WinRAR Zip archive!!
Do you know how I can get it installed and working?(I have WinRAR on trial but dont know how to use it!)
as you can tell, I am not overly knowledgable about computers so any help is appreciated

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Open the file in WinRAR > click close on the trial version notice > click the extract to button > choose where you want to save the files to > click ok > after it has finished extracting the files use Windows explorer to view the folder you extracted them to and run the setup program.