Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HOW DO I

• Please log in to reply

Lucababy

Lucababy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Can someone please explain to me what a proxy server is, I some knowledge of it but not alot...

?

Advertisements

guyonphone

guyonphone

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
a proxy server is another computer that goes out and gets a webpage for you. So instead of sending your computer going out onto the internet to find a website, it sends the request for a website to the proxy server, then the proxy server goes and does the work for you. Proxy servers can be used for many things, such as masking your comps ip address, or consolodating internet traffic, on a network.

Lucababy

Lucababy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Lucababy

Lucababy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Posted Image

This is what seems to be the problem ^ I can browse the internet fine in Firefox, ussually, but it wont let me sign in on msn messenger, when I am able to as soon I talk or people talk to me messenger signs me out automaticlY.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Lucababy

Lucababy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
make a new proxy?? i dont have one and some internet programs like messenger.exe dont work

help?

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Are you saying you wish to run a proxy server to run MS Messenger? What other programs will not work?

guyonphone

guyonphone

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
lucababy,
i replied to your other post about what a proxy server is. But if you cant get messenger to run, setting up a proxy server is not going to be your answer, its just going to make everything more complicated. (the only exception to this being if you are in a corporate enviroment and your trying to use a proxy to bypass, your networks current restrictions) anyways if this is a home machine, you need to address your fundemental problems as to why your computer, or some of the programs are not conecting. Why dont you start another topic with your real problem, and im sure the community will be able to assist you in fixing your issue.

Edited by guyonphone, 26 November 2006 - 04:53 AM.