Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Wireless Connectivity - Device shows connected, HELP!

• Please log in to reply

HCRX311

HCRX311

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Was using a normal router before, now just bought a new HP laptop with wireless card in it and also a WRT54G linksys wireless router. I set it up and followed the "wireless home network OS setup" at the top, up to step 81 but stopped because it says I should have internet but I dont. My Desktop and Laptop both show great signal and show connected, but the internet wont work? I am on Bellsouth DSL modem, Please help me out, Thanks.

Advertisements

guyonphone

guyonphone

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
if it shows connected you should be getting an ip address.
go to start>run type "cmd"
click ok
at the command prompt type "ipconfig" and hit enter.
does the field that says ip address start with "192" or "169"?
also did you remember to unplug the electricity to the modem when you hooked up the new router?

thanks

HCRX311

HCRX311

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Yes I unplugged everything and its all hooked up correctly, when I run ipconfig on my laptop.

IP-192.168.1.101

Default-192.168.1.1

Still says I'm connected on both computer both internet wont work on either, help please Thanks!

diverseo

diverseo

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
what is the ip of your pc and what is the ip of your router, if pc is 192.168.1.101 and router is 192.168.1.1 make sure your default gate way is set to 192.168.1.1 . One other thing u can try is to go to start run cmd and try ping a website from command prompt, ( so as to see if it might be a dns problem) just my 2 cents worth, hope u come right

HCRX311

HCRX311

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
They are the same and the internet from my destop is not working either, Thanks though.

HCRX311

HCRX311

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Nevermind got it working, Linksys tech help is A++ if anyone needs them.

diverseo

diverseo

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Great, what was the problem?? please let us know