Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Access-Using info from table to calculate field

• Please log in to reply

ChrisWright

ChrisWright

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I believe that the only way to explain the problems I'm having is to demonstrate the tables and calculations i am trying to achieve...

Table 1:
(Value would be any numerical value really)

Name Value
testa 1
testb 12
testc 33
testd 64

Table 2:
(Type would be a choice of the values in table 1)

ID Condition Type Value
01 Good testa 1
02 Poor testc 12
03 Pristine testd 33
04 Tatty testb 64

In Table 2, when the 'Type' column is selected, the 'Value' should be entered. They should be relationally connected somehow, so that when values were changed in Table 1, all records in Table 2 would be corrected.

Does anyone have any suggetions? If further details are wanted, please leave info on what you need...

Thanks for any help
Chris

Edited by ChrisWright, 26 November 2006 - 12:28 PM.

Advertisements

dsm

dsm

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Chris,
I am a little confused however

I think what you want to acheive is that the value in the "Value" field in Table2 should be updated whenever a change is made in the "Value" field in Table1

eg. if the "Value" for a record where "Name" = 'testc' is changed from 33 to 99 in Table1
then all records where "Type" = 'testc' in Table2 should have the "Value" field updated to 99

There seems to be a duplication of information.
An alternative is to have the following;
-Table1 is a lookup table containing the value for each test
-Table2 is a data entry table
-A relationship is setup between the tables
-Query1 combines the data so that any change to the value for testx is reflected for all records with testx

The attached Access97 database demonstrates the above

HTH

dsm

Attached Files

ChrisWright

ChrisWright

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks for managing to de-cypher my problem! I think I understand how you've achieved this, and am very impressed with how quickly you've replied!

Thank you again, you've once again comfirmed that GeeksToGo members seem to have an encyclopedic knowledge of PC problems!

Chris

dsm

dsm

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Chris,
Updated DB with tips discussed off-line
Suggest you attach a copy of your database with some data intact if you need further assistance.

dsm

Attached Files