Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DISK read error

• Please log in to reply

Invartact

Invartact

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Sorry bout the mix up on the d*** read error. I think thats why only 10 people looked at that post in the past 2 hours or so. well I'm just going to repost here so that everyone looks at it now that i fixed the name...

Hey,
Recently my friend bought a shuttle (SK41G) at Frys Electronics. We thought it was an awsome deal, but now im starting to doubt that. Heres the problem... We first installed windows Xp (with an AMD Athlon XP 2100+...somehow gum was on the pins dont ask why..., 256 mb DDR2100, and a 160 GB seagate HD.) It ran decent for a few hours but then a BSOD appeared. We rebooted and it went away. We kept on getting it to boot and run a program for a while but then more BSODs came up. I figured it was the ram b/c of the names of the BSODs. We replaced the RAM with 3200 512mb Kingston HyperX ram. We continued recieving new BSODs. We returned the shuttle for an even exchange. It wouldnt get to the XP logo screen so I tryed to reinstall XP Pro (w/SP1.) It got through the end of the DOS part of the installatio, but when it rebooted, it wouldntgo to the XP logo screen (again.) I didn't want to return the HD just yet untill I knew that it was the problem. we ripped out his processor and put in my old AMD Athlon XP 2700+. We got XP installed and it ran for a day or so. We decided to mount the drive bay in the shuttle and install his drivers. It booted with the drivers installe but when i mounted the drive bay in, I think I messed something up. It goes to the first screen that is black and tells the drive information and just sits there for about 5-10 min. then goes to the next black screen that says the VERIFYING DMI POOL DATA...and sits...then after another 5 min it says DISK READ ERROR press CTRL + ALT + Delete to restart. Thats where I currently stand. I'll keep you updated if I find anything out, but if not thanks alot! Could it bee that the clockspeed is set to read my 2700+ as a 1900+ ( wont let me go any higher?) and when I set the computer to boot from CD with XP Pro in it, it will go to the Setup is Configuring your hardware ( or whatever the first black screen) and sit there. I can hear the disk spinning but no blue screen pops up saying that it wants me to install
-Invartact

Advertisements