Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not find HD

• Please log in to reply

Helodude

Helodude

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Last night my wife and I went to bed and left the laptop on (HP ze5730) and in the morning it says it cannot find operating system. I went to the bios and it say there isn't a hard drive in the computer. I pulled the hard drive out and reinstalled it and it stills does not recoginze the hard drive. I am hoping that someone can help me. It just stopped working.

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
That could be any number of things, but the first thing to try is a different IDE cable (the one between the hard drive and the motherboard). It's the simplest possibility, and the easiest to test.

Helodude

Helodude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I thought that the IDE cables were hard wired on Laptops?

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Oops. I fail reading comprehension.
Well, the HDD could be dead, the IDE cable could be fried, or there could be a problem with power going to the disk. Does the hard disk spin up when you power the computer?

Helodude

Helodude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No it does not even light up. But what I do not understand is that is was sleeping went it stopped working.

evilwizard

evilwizard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
From what you have said, and it's a laptop, the Hard Drive plugs directly in and there is no IDE cable. I have had the same problem and for me it was a dead hard drive. I tried everything.. I even have a Notebook Hard Drive to Desktop Adapter (2.5" to 3.5").. and it would not even be recognized there. For me the end result was my hard drive was dead..

When you boot up do you hear any clicking sounds ? or shucking sounds ?

Helodude

Helodude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I do not hear anything at all!

evilwizard

evilwizard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
[quote name='Helodude' date='Nov 28 2006, 11:04 AM' post='846659']
I do not hear anything at all!
[/quote

Sometimes there it a tell tale sound like shucking or clicking from the hard drive which means that the hard drive is damaged or going bad.

But hearing no sound means nothing as your hard drive could still have gone bad on you . This was somthing that I went through .. Hard drive worked and then three hours latter, bam , computer would not even detect it.

I tried to run a hard drive test, Ultimate Boot CD , but that would not work because the computer would not detect the hard drive.. The end result was it was a dead hard drive..