Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Many "has encountered error needs to close" messages

• Please log in to reply

1992XP

1992XP

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have been receiving the messages "windows service pack has encountered an error and needs to close", "update.exe has encountered an error and needs to close", and "itunes has encountered a problem and needs to close". My windows update fails at updating certain things now, and I can not open Itunes at all anymore without the message comping up with in 2-5 seconds. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

guyonphone

guyonphone

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
getting errors in this like windows could be the cause of many things, spyware, viruses, or even a failed service pack upgrade. Are you having any other symptoms on your computer?

check this for me real quick to make sure your service pack was installed succesfully.

click on start > run and type "winver"
click on ok.

you will get a new window, telling you your version of windows make sure the versions in the red boxes i put are the same.

to avoid going off in the wrong direction in case thats not the issue i will stop here to wait for your response.

Attached Thumbnails

• winver.jpg

Edited by guyonphone, 26 November 2006 - 04:39 AM.

1992XP

1992XP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
theyre not the same versions, one says sp2, the other says service pack 1

guyonphone

guyonphone

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
yes thats probably your issue. what that means is when you installed service pack 2, it failed partially. totally screwing up your system. The easiest thing to do would be to reinstall windows. However if you want to fix the problem, i would do a full cleaning on the computer, run avg, adaware, spybot, hijack this, and autoruns. Then uninstall sp2 read this ms kb article
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/875350
then reinstall sp2.

the number one reason for sp2 to fail in the first place is due to spyware. so most of the time this fixes the issue. Its possible though that you will do all that work for nothing and it wont install properly again.