Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Music Streaming

• Please log in to reply

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi guys, as you know, the holiday season is near, and I would like to begin streaming Christmas music on my forum. Now, here's the situation... I have the music on a separate server, due to resource issues. Now, I have Invision power board 2.1.7 installed. I don't know of any plugins for music, but if you know of one that would help!

Now, I want it to be like this... People enter my forum, and then the music starts. Not just one song, I have several I want to play, one after the other. Does anyone know how I can accomplish this? Someone told me to use ASX coding, but I'm a horrible coder, so I am lost. Does anyone think they can help? :whistling:

Thanks for the link, I'll have to toy around with that a bit. Hopefully it does have an on/off button, because I'd be annoyed too, because I visit that forum constantly, so it'd drive me crazy.

hhhmmm I suppose... I don't mind it playing, but when you view that board as many times as I do in a day, it would be quite annoying. I'll think it over, thanks :help:

Wow, thanks! Just what I was looking for really! It shows the playlist and everything! OK, so now how should I go about inserting this? Who's in favor of a pop-up, and who says I should embed it to the top of the forum?

I was able to get the thing to work for streaming music, but now I want it to play when I first see that pop-up with the player controls inside... See this link please: http://forevergeek.c...n_your_site.php ... If you scroll down, it tells you to add the autoplay parameter. Only thing is, I don't know how to insert that so it works... Here's my testpage with the player on it... http://www.scar-scri...me/testpage.php ... Now, attached to this message is the code I have used to embed the player. How and where do I insert this code? Thanks!

Thanks, very good. Now, there's two lines with that playlist URL. Do I add to both? (I just did, and I'll upload it to the testpage, but I wanted to know for the future) :)

Oh wonderful, it works! :blink: Now, I'm going to try and add that code myself that allows me to insert this on a webpage from another server...

Ok, great! I uploaded the XML document that it wanted, which it might have worked without it, but who knows. But, it works like a dream! All I need now to make that pop-up somehow, and that'll be all! (I'll also add songs myself) I know it sounds "noobish" but how do I make a proper pop-up appear as people come to my forum?

Attached Files

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Here is one example of it being done. http://nunzioweb.com...dio-example.htm

I would do it like that, that way people can turn it on it they want it and off it they don't. Not every one wants music when they are browsing the web at work.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
No kidding... music playing without a easily visible way to stop it is a sure way to get people to quit visiting your site in a heartbeat.

If I go an music starts playing and I don't instantly see the shut-off I am gone...

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
It does have an off button, after you press the on one.

I personally would not put music on the site, if some one likes music when there browsing the web they normally are playing their own. As you said it would even annoy you.

Edited by Michael, 29 November 2006 - 05:36 PM.

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
If you still need one, SXPF Player is a really good one. It can play remote and local files.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
The idea is this your useing a url that will look something like
...../xspf_player.swf?playlist_url=...../playlist.xspf

To add autoplay you change that too
...../xspf_player.swf?playlist_url=playlist.xspf&autoplay=true

And to add repeat play list as well
...../xspf_player.swf?playlist_url=playlist.xspf&autoplay=true&repeat_playlist=true

Your adding variables to the url itself, you can see this done in all the urls belonging to this forum.

I suppose you know I was sitting of the reply button :whistling:

Edited by Michael, 01 December 2006 - 07:33 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Yes, incase anyone was wondering, I asked Keith to merge my posts due to the excessive double-posting. The question that is now at hand is:

Ok, great! I uploaded the XML document that it wanted, which it might have worked without it, but who knows. But, it works like a dream! All I need now to make that pop-up somehow, and that'll be all! (I'll also add songs myself) I know it sounds "noobish" but how do I make a proper pop-up appear as people come to my forum?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
The reason for the two lines is object is the preferred method of adding things like this to a web page, if it is supported everything inside it is ignored. But if it is not supported the browsers don't know to ignore the param element, so they use it. And param is supported by older browser.

I do pop ups in my FireFox extension like this
window.open('http://www.example.com/...l', '', 'chrome=yes,centerscreen=yes,toolbar=no,menubar=no');

You can read about it at http://developer.moz...DOM:window.open

Some people with a popup blocker will not see that.

You will have to put that code in the Body element like this.
<body onload="window.open('http://www.exam......)"

haha I just noticed the change, I was looking at my moderator options thinking about using them :whistling:

Edited by Michael, 01 December 2006 - 08:00 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Ok, well, I didn't seem to work it right, so I just went noobish and went to a pop-up generator, and it seems to be working fine :whistling: Now... The final step... Getting this into IPB somehow... I'll be experimenting with that next.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Wow guys, it works like a dream :whistling: Great! I have everything working great. Due to some problems with integrating it, I made a banner at the top of my forum (it used to say advertise here) and it tells people to click there if they want the music. So, they click on the banner, and a new window comes up with the player. Wonderful, thanks guys! :blink: