Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Graphics Glitch

• Please log in to reply

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, are you comfortable opening the case? If so, go ahead, after you unplug everything, etc. and see what it says on the power supply. Look for the voltage on there.

Advertisements

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Orion 400

Here's The SPecs

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, I think a 450 Watt power supply will do you just fine, but I think we should get you a pretty good one. Go toy our local computer store, and look at 450 Watt power supply units. I would like for you to stay with either an Antec or Thermaltake product. I don't know what kind you have in there now, but it's not giving out enough power, which would probably explain why your video card can't render all those graphics.

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Well since I'm a poverty stricken High School student with car payments and Insurance and low paying hours...anything else I could do? I'm going to get a new power supply as soon as possible...but any temp fix? :whistling:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I see. Well, I'm sorry to hear that, but here's the deal... This sounds strange, but I've asked around, and it's true... Your power supply isn't giving off enough power, it should be giving more... Now, having too little voltage running through there could cause damage to some system components... Sadly, that's all we can do for you that I know of. You see, the wattage you have might be enough, however, your power supply isn't working to it's potential, and so it's not producing so much power...

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Well since I'm a poverty stricken High School student with car payments and Insurance and low paying hours...anything else I could do? I'm going to get a new power supply as soon as possible...but any temp fix? :whistling:

If your on a budget, my freind has one of these running his 7900 perfectly.

--bmwboy

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
NewEgg

Well I found that one...

Thanx for the link bmw, but I trust Newegg with my Credit Card number more...

Now how sure are you that this will fix the problem?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, that's all we have really to go from. SpeedFan says there's not enough power being generated, and as I have been informed, lack of power can cause these issues, especially because the graphics card isn't getting enough power... How can you expect it to play games when there's not enough power to run it. I'm sure this will work, I have that confidence from two staff members here.

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Okay, Thanx. I won't be pissed if it doesn't work, so no worries...

Guess I'm going to get one...my brother in law can install it...so I'll ask him for help on that. Thanx for your help...I guess I'll let you know what happens...

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Yes, please keep in touch. We're confident this will solve your problem. Good luck to you :whistling:

Advertisements

kewal2913d`

kewal2913d`

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
It's purely possible that the power outlet is faulty.
Maybe a new hardware upgrade is too fast of a solution.

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I hate to bring this old topic back up...but I finally just got a PSU for my computer and it still is doing the weird glitch. I've restarted a few times. Installed new drivers again. Unplugged a CD drive that I wasn't using...I still get the glitch. Only in games and its pissing me off. Is the video card just shot? Would've been nice to know that before I spent 50 dollars on a new PSU...I'm not pissed at those who gave me the advice on here, just to let you know. I'm not complaining, just need some help : (

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
*bump*

forgotten_fable

forgotten_fable

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have these graphics problems with my comp. to fix I just put an average house fan at the side of my comp near an air hole when i play games. It's a lot cheaper and works on my comp.
Although it does give you cold feet :whistling:

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Thank you...I tried something like that...but I've come to the conclusion that my video card is the problem. I believe my memory in the video card is not rendering the different layers fast enough. The card is shot...and I am poor...therefor...no gaming for me : (