Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTLDR Missing

• Please log in to reply

fothers

fothers

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi, I get a message NTLDR missing when I try to boot my XP after a repair install. :whistling:
does anyone know what this message is related to? and if so any thoughts on possible fix's?

thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Here's one possible remedy which should work if the cause is a missing ntldr file:
Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password. If no password was set, leave blank and press enter.
Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

(Credit due to ComputerHope.com for that short tutorial)

fothers

fothers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

opy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

I copied the files a suggested, but still same message

thanks

guyonphone

guyonphone

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
try this,

using the xp cd boot to the recovery console, then repair your mbr. that has worked for me in the past.