Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

More than one modem router on a network

• Please log in to reply

maaaark

maaaark

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello

I have one modem router doing the internet connection. I bought another to add network ports but for a while only one of the device configuration pages was available. I resolved it but I am not sure why. Are there some rules to apply?

Modem router 1 address: 192.168.1.1
Modem router 2 address: 192.168.2.1

It seems that each modem router needs it own ranges of ip addresses to manage.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You didn't need a second router, a simple basic switch would have done the job, added another two/four/eight ports and the one router would have issued all the IP addresses on its own.

Anyway what probably happened is both routers were set to the same IP address, so one of them has to take priority, the first one you get to in the chain.

maaaark

maaaark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Yes, I think so. Eventually I did install a switch and it works fine. Does a switch get an ip address and can I check all ips on my network.

However two routers on the network is an interesting challenge. Conclusion is just to set them to different ip adresses, but do the adresses need to be in the same range?