Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Install Error

• Please log in to reply

kingjames

kingjames

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm using xp home edition. Attempted to install Diablo Lord of Destruction in my cd writer device. Put in install cd and asked for cd key. Then I was asked to insert "play" disc. Disc did initially begin to download, but an error message stating that a certain file failed to load with the question "do you wish to install anyway" came up. I clicked yes and it began install again. Then another message came up stating that it could not continue the installation. On second attempt to use play disc to install, (after rebooting computer), a message appeared stating that some files already existed and asked if I wished to overwrite and continue install, I clicked yes, install began for a second and failed to install appeared and process stopped. I shut down computer after removing disc. Restarted, went into program files and deleted Diablo file folder. Put Diablo Install disc in cd writer drive and nothing. Tried other software cds and nothing. Tried my cd which contained my back up for computers files and nothing. Tried all of these on my wife's computer and they all worked fine. Tried dvd rom and it does not function either.

Called microsoft support, we tried to get these devices to function: after going to safe mode, after deleting drivers for these and then rebooting (thus reinstalling default drivers), after creating new account (from me as administrator to a new account), after going into registry and deleting low and high filters for devices, and after doing a system restore -- all with no luck. Microsoft stated that all that was left was reinstalling windows XP home edition. I said no to that as I would have lost too much stuff and we ended contact. We did system restore because I had downloaded Internet Exporer 7, downloaded a program from Microsoft that checks my system to see if my computer is ready for windows vista, downloaded NET. framework 2.0 and msxml 6.0 parser which vista checker software said I would need. Even after removing all that stuff, my cd writer and dvd rom will not recognize that they have a disc inserted.

I have played Diablo Lord of Destruction in years past on this computer with no problems. Tonight, I even used RegistrySmart program to scan system (including registry) and it supposedly found and eliminated 897 problems (687 in registry). Still no functionality on devices. For only $200 our local geek squad will analyze, backup and save my files to cd, and reload windows xp home edition. I can buy a new tower that is twice the computer (in terms of memory, speed, graphics, etc) compared to this one for $550.00. I don't know what to do! HHEELLPP! How do I know if it is computer or is it possible that both devices could fail mechanically? Replace them without local geeks doing anything else?

Jim Hauck aka King James

Advertisements