Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start up problem

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you boot to the floppy you should be offered 3 options. I think cd-rom support is the first, so type 1 and press "Enter" on the first options screen after booting.

Advertisements

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
well i dont think its booting the disk wen i turn it on with the floppy inside it just continues to the windows screen

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Didn't you boot to the floppy a little while ago?

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
um im not sure i pressed [bleep] f5 on start up is that what im supposed to do again?

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
lol shift f5 to bring me to the screen to enter commands

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you turn the machine on with the Startup Disk in the floppy drive, it should load to a page with options listed like:
  • Start with cd-rom support
  • Start without cd-rom support
  • Start normally
Or something very similar. Type the number that corresponds to "Start with cd-rom support" and press "Enter.

Edited by wannabe1, 26 November 2006 - 08:41 PM.

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
my drvie for some reason doenst read the disk on startup it just sit on the first screen and nothing happpens.the problem keeps happening where it asks me to put in the windows 98 regestration number and then can load and gives me the explorer error message.is there anything else can do?and do u know what might have caused this?

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
alright i got the disk to load and selected option 1 its went thru a bunch of filses and stuff and then stopped and gave me this message....THE following is missing or corrupted:command.com,type the name of the command interpeter.then is gives shows A> where u can type.what do i do now?????

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Follow the instructions I gave you in This Reply.