Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp problem

• Please log in to reply

shoey

shoey

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
hello:
i have windows xp, i played PC games yesterday and this morning when i turned on the computer, i noticed multiple problems:
1. desktop background picture is changed
2. time is changed back one hour
3. outlook calendar does not have my synchronized events from pocket pc
4. CD/DVD rom icon are missing, and when i check thru device manager both drivers have a yellow symbol next to it, probably missing
5. windows media player, realone, and jukebox not working properly, i downloaded the windows media player new version and it works

i used system restore to yesterday but no resolution, i tried to older days but it doesnt work

i dont know if there are other problems, but other microsoft office software such as word, powerpoint, excel seem to be working

i remember hitting the wrong buttons during the game play (windows icon button next to the ALT button) and the game closed, i wondered if i damage some files.

please help, thanks
shoey

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there shoey, welcome to Geeks To Go Forums.

This may be malware related... I am going to ask you to follow a few instructions to make sure this is not a malware problem, if it appears that you are clean come back to this thread and we can continue fixing the problem in here.

So please read this: Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log (Click on the link)

That will give you steps that will help you clean up 70% of the problems yourself. Then please download "Hijackthis" and run Hijackthis with log. Save the log file here: Malware Removal - HiJackThis Logs Go Here

When you have followed all these steps, please notify me of the topic link so I can take a look at your log. I am a Malware Trainee and am authorized to take a look at your log and help you fix any malware related issue you have. If this is not malware related we will still get your computer working back to its normal shape.

Thank you, Ill be waiting. :whistling:

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey again shoey. I have re-viewed you log and it has come up with only one bit of malware, although I have noticed you have some Anti-Spyware and Anti-Trojan programs Running, you also have more than one Anti-Virus and firewall running. All these programs slow down your computer tremendously and can conflict with each other. Lets begin with the multiple anti-spyware programs.

I recommend you uninstall some program that are running, here:

To Uninstall:
Open the Control Panel’s Add/Remove Programs list and remove the following: (Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs)

I recommend uninstalling these:
Anti-Spyware:
TrojanHunter

Anti-Virus:
Norton

Firewall:
Norton Security Suite (If you decided to uninstall Notron Anti-Virus, you will not find this in the list)

I recommend keeping these because:[
AVG Anti-Spyware:
> AVG Anti-Spyware - AVG Anti-Spyware is one of my favorite programs and it detects almost every bit of my spyware

Firewall & Anti-Virus:
> I recommend keeping ZoneAlarm, now this is the best firewall I have ever seen. Its got tones of options and defiantly keeps crackers out. It also has a built in Anti-Virus and defiantly does not use as many system resources as Norton does.

After that please post back a new hijackthis log, so we can tackle that bit of malware you have.

Cool :whistling:

shoey

shoey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
thanks spike hacker
the AVG anti-malware is real time protection or do i have to run it to check for virus, etc? i have norton and i know is realtime
what do you think about windows defender
i appreciate your help very much but i am going away for a few days and i will be away from my computer, i will be back 12/4 to work on it
thank you
shoey

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey again shoey.

the AVG anti-malware is real time protection or do i have to run it to check for virus, etc? i have norton and i know is realtime
what do you think about windows defender

AVG Anti-Malware IS real-time protection. Windows defender is ok, but if you are going to be using AVG you wouldn't really need it.

i appreciate your help very much but i am going away for a few days and i will be away from my computer, i will be back 12/4 to work on it

No problem at all, I will be here when you get back to help you on any further problems.

shoey

shoey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
hi
if I delete norton,what will be my antivirus program, in the past when it was off, the window security prompt constantly about not having an antivirus program
shoey

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey again shoey,

Please download AVG Anti-Virus, this will take the place of Norton.

Shweet :whistling:

shoey

shoey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
hi spike hacker:
i took your advise and deleted norton, trojanhunter and downloaded avg antivirus
but i still see some symantec in the log
pls look at it, thank you very much
shoey

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:48:56 PM, on 12/4/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.0\Apps\apdproxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESCOMM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Skyscape\smARTupdate.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\rapimgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\sung\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\8NPZ6AJX\HijackThis[1].exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.cnn.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = http://localhost;
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCMSMMSG] BCMSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Photo Downloader] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.0\Apps\apdproxy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 4.2\THGuard.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] "C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [H/PC Connection Agent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESCOMM.EXE"
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler V3.exe
O4 - Startup: Skyscape smARTupdate.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Skyscape\smARTupdate.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {01010E00-5E80-11D8-9E86-0007E96C65AE} (SupportSoft SmartIssue) - http://www.symantec....trl/tgctlsi.cab
O16 - DPF: {01012101-5E80-11D8-9E86-0007E96C65AE} (SupportSoft Script Runner Class) - http://www.symantec....trl/tgctlsr.cab
O16 - DPF: {1F2F4C9E-6F09-47BC-970D-3C54734667FE} - http://www.symantec....rl/LSSupCtl.cab
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.syma...n9x/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {3451DEDE-631F-421C-8127-FD793AFC6CC8} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - http://www.symantec....rl/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.syma...n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: Canon Camera Access Library 8 (CCALib8) - Canon Inc. - C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey again shoey,

The entries that you are looking at (O16) are just previously downloaded files, from when you done an on-line scan or what ever it may be. It is nothing to worry about, although I see a service still running of the program.

Goto:
> Start
> Run
> Type in "services.msc"
> Navigate to "Symantec Core LC" and double-click.
> Change the startup type to "Disabled"
> Click "Apply" and then "OK"

Delete an NT Service
  • Open HiJackThis
  • Click on the "Config..." button on the bottom right
  • Click on the tab "Misc Tools"
  • click on "delete an NT service"
  • Copy and paste this in: symlcsvc.exe
  • Click "ok", then reboot
After that you can post a clean hijackthis log.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
if you want to remove all of norton go here and download norton removal tool

http://service1.syma...005033108162039

Advertisements

shoey

shoey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
hi spike hacker:
i used the link you sent me once before i email you my last hijacklog, i just ran it again, here it is, thanks

Scan saved at 7:04:03 PM, on 12/6/2006

Running processes:
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\sung\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\4ZNZQ81P\HijackThis[1].exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.cnn.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = http://localhost;
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Photo Downloader] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.0\Apps\apdproxy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] "C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [H/PC Connection Agent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESCOMM.EXE"
O4 - Startup: Skyscape smARTupdate.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Skyscape\smARTupdate.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {01010E00-5E80-11D8-9E86-0007E96C65AE} (SupportSoft SmartIssue) - http://www.symantec....trl/tgctlsi.cab
O16 - DPF: {01012101-5E80-11D8-9E86-0007E96C65AE} (SupportSoft Script Runner Class) - http://www.symantec....trl/tgctlsr.cab
O16 - DPF: {1F2F4C9E-6F09-47BC-970D-3C54734667FE} - http://www.symantec....rl/LSSupCtl.cab
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.syma...n9x/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {3451DEDE-631F-421C-8127-FD793AFC6CC8} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - http://www.symantec....rl/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.syma...n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: Canon Camera Access Library 8 (CCALib8) - Canon Inc. - C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Topic moved to Malware Removal forum.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey again shoey, did you follow the instructions by "rushin1nd", or did you follow "my" instructions? Please follow my instructions and post back a new log. If you did follow my instruction let me know, so I can figure out why it didn't work.

shoey

shoey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
hi spike hacker:
i followed your instruction, and when i performed the last step with "symlcsvc.exe", none was found, i am in need of using the CDrom and the DVDrom drive, please let me know, thanks

Scan saved at 10:58:41 PM, on 12/7/2006

Running processes:
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\sung\Desktop\downloaded software\HijackThis.exe

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey again shoey, are you currently having any more problems? Notify me of any problems you may be having now so we can sought them out.