Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home, Pro or MCE?

• Please log in to reply

arborphile

arborphile

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I am buying a new operating system and don't want to wait for Vista to come out. I know about the upgrade offer but am confused about the "upgrade to an equivalent version of Vista" part of it.

What version of XP should I buy in order to be able to upgrade to the best version of Vista?

I have xp pro at home and think its good, I don't do much media stuff but recording tv programs etc sounds like a good idea. I probably don't need the stuff that comes with the business version of Vista.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Arb

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hey there,

I'm also looking at getting a new notebook for myself at christmas, a lot of places are doing "free upgrade to vista" tickets. Windows XP Home is good for the average user. Windows XP Professional is just XP home with some extra things that the average user wouldn't need to worry about.

If its cheap enough you should really god for MCE, it is Windows XP Pro, with the media center program on it - you never know when you might need it!

http://www.cyberpowe...ta/winvista.asp

That's the offer at Cyberpowersystem, I don't know if it is the same anywhere else, I'll be getting the XP Pro version for the business upgrade!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
MCE is more like home with media center. The upgrade doesnt depend on the version of XP you had before but the version you are upgrading to.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

MCE is more like home with media center. The upgrade doesnt depend on the version of XP you had before but the version you are upgrading to.

EDIT (in aterisks):
But it is the Windows XP **PROFESSIONAL** with the MCE program on it.

Edited by SuperSam, 27 November 2006 - 12:06 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah its just XP Home not Pro like you said, its got a little bit of an improvment in boot times like Pro but the rest is all XP home, media center is really just a program, i preger the nero version of media center personally.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Also, remember Vista will allow you to upgrade your version of Vista very easily. You simply pay a fee from within Windows Vista and you can step-up another version, all versions are included on the DVDs. :whistling:

Home Premium is probably the best option for most home users. Home Basic has too many features stripped out, including the new Aero interface.

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
I am getting a new PC too, and the Manufacturer told me to get XP Pro!

If you get XP Home then you don't get Home Premium, you get Home Basic.
If you get XP Pro then you get Home Premium.
I am not sure about MCE though!

Fred admin

Fred admin

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I think that you should get windows XP Professional with the Compatible with vista sign on it. <b>This is certaily a Good investment

Edited by Fred admin, 29 November 2006 - 05:32 AM.