Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Router conflict with my cable modem?

• Please log in to reply

law2grace

law2grace

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I use a cable modem with a router, on a computer running Windows XP (with SP 2 updates). Several days ago, I became unable to send/receive e-mail using Outlook Express 6.0. This is the error message I get: "The connection to the server has failed. Account:'mail.isp.net", Server:'mail.isp.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E" I used "isp" instead of my cable provider - wasn't sure I'm allowed to "name names"! At the same time, I also became unable to load one particular website, which my husband can load on his computer, which is connected to DSL. When I connect my cable modem directly to my computer, everything works fine, but when I go through the router, I have these problems. My "techie" son disabled the firewall on the router, so I know it's not a firewall issue on the router. I also disabled my firewall on my computer and still couldn't get things to work. My son insists that it could not be the router (and he is a computer tech guy) and that the cable company is somehow at fault. I don't really care who's at fault - I just want to be able to use Outlook Express and download that website! Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

bobletman

bobletman

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I think your son is right because when i get that error I am either not connected to the internet or there is something wrong with the internet, also I think with outlook you need to setup the ports so you should check that out.