Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

stupid computer

• Please log in to reply

mmblvannav8

mmblvannav8

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi there all,
My family's PC is giving me the s#^t's! i'm about to smash it into a million piece's. I've fixed this PC once before from virus's etc. Now for some reason the family being playing with it and its now locked the bottom task bar, brower tab bar and start button. We can not click on anything at the bottom of the screen, BUT you can access it by pushing the window's button, and after each down load the PC freeze's for about 20 sec's and i can't even flick through the shortcut tab brower's (Alt + Tab) without it freezing too, BUT once again you can press CNTRL+ALT+DELETE and get to the task manager and it un-freeze's after another 20 secs or so, once thats done i can't change web browers.
And i've just notice just now that the web page's are wider than usally too.

Please HELP, i'm on the edge on kill this PC. I know that all you guy's/girl's are good and this is the best site for solutions.

Thankz for your time.

mmblvannav8

Advertisements

Flrman1

Flrman1

Malware Assassin

• Retired Staff
  • 6,596 posts
I'm sorry. I mistakenly though this was a duplicate topic in the malware forum. I have reopened the thread. Hopefully someone will come along with a suggestion for you.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
So, what can it do...? What can you access, right from the get go...? Can you list a sequence of successful objectives?

e.g.

1. will it shut down, and then power off...NO? pull the power plug and let it sit for a minute
2. boot?
3. boot options?
4. F8 work?

That sort of stuff... :whistling:

What are your boot options? ...can you boot from the CD bay?

Start here...Insert CD...boot...F8...safe mode...admin...sfc_/scannow

We may need to do more, but that's a start...

Results?
----------
P.S. ...Later, once you are done and the system is running well...open an "account" for each user...have each user logon only to his/her account when they use the computer...save one User account for you as the administrator so that you can access the utilities later if you have to...

mmblvannav8

mmblvannav8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello there,
thankz 4 ur time, i didn't mean to make duplicate copies either i didn't know where to post it, i put it under operating system then thought it was a malware topic.

I think i seemed to fix the problem to. it took to long 4 a response i was getting Frustrated and annoyed that there was no respones i was in Patient and wanted to keep the computer in one Piece.

I ran Windows Defender on normal mode and it found problems with Iexplore.exe and something else. i tried to fix it and it wouldn't do it. I did a bit of research and found that the infected file was infected with katien.n (backdoor?), so i went on to search for solutions and found this forum http://www.pcreview....ead-1698149.php and it helped me out.

I ran Windows Defender in safe mode and ran the scan twice (deep scan) and told it to fix the problem and it did. So everything is good now but there are other tweaks i want to do to this PC, i'll post it in a different topic and also me laptop too.

Sorry for any promblem and fustration i've cause you.

But once again GEEKS TO GO ROCKS!!!

mmblvannav8

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Your pain, is "our" gain :blink:

No harm done when you solve the problem yourself and then mount the solution to "out' list here... :)

Now, you see, I just discovered that you can run Windows Defender in Safe Mode... I can't imagine why not, but I just never thought of doing it... I suppose it is because I have been without something to complain about for so long, touch wood :help: that I have not had the chance to check it out.

So, you just go into safe mode and fire it up, eh? Have you discovered any other progs that will run in safe mode...I'm trying to make a wee list of them :whistling:

mmblvannav8

mmblvannav8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
That's great then,
Yes you do fire it up in safe mode (windows defender) make sure it's up to date first and another program that i use in safe mode is ewido anti-spyware (i just had a look cause i cant find the file on my hard drive but did research and the new one actually links to avg antivirus scanner??? i dont know, but i think the version i used was ewido anti-spyware V4 i think i'll get back to you on it), i know this because i've had other problems b4 all this bout a year ago and i found it in this website.

I reckon you should start another forum and ask people if they know what programs/scanners run under safe mode. It would be a good topic.

When i ran in safe mode nothing was Affected in the way it all ran. ??? who's know, all i know is that i got it running again.

So start a new topic and i'll msg you on what program i used.

Thankz for your time again man. CHEERS!!!

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I tried to but I only had a couple responses...but I can try it again.

Later post...

DONE!

Edited by b1caez01, 01 December 2006 - 05:23 AM.