Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

News Report on Leet Speak

• Please log in to reply

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

now parents need to translate a new language! lol. whatever happened to trusting kids.

Advertisements

silencedmessage

silencedmessage

• PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
IMO, if a parent is that concerned with their child being on the internet, they should not even allow them to go on a computer. Also, since when is "lol" leet speek? haha

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Geez. I don't speak in leet (on teh computer obviously) but I do have this nifty little translator for it for Firefox :whistling:

\/\/0w, |00k 1'm 7yp1n6 1n L337, my p4r3n75 5h0u|d 83 50 (0n(3rn3d!

evilwizard

evilwizard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Kids can be quite crafty... :whistling: I remember back when pig latin was popular.

As to parental control .. That I do not favor.. I believe that it only fosters a no trust attitude between parent and child.. Trust works both ways.

silencedmessage

silencedmessage

• PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

I believe that it only fosters a no trust attitude between parent and child.. Trust works both ways.

very well said!

If the child were to give a parent a reason not to trust them... then I can understand... but if the parent were actually that concerned, would they not ask what they were typing anyways? :whistling:

besides, I know that DEFINITELY was not the original intention of 1337

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well put, I agree. Unless the child provides some reason to lose such trust, it should be given to them. If they know right off the bat they're not supposed to be doing something, that makes them want it all that much more. it's a form of rebellion. Of course, people will see this in two ways. (1) You have no controls set, your child could always do something they're not supposed to if they wanted. or, (2) The child has their freedom and feels trusted, and has no need to do anything "wrong" because the issue at the moment does not exist. The threat exists, but unless they're given a reason to respond to that threat, there should be no problems. Yes, my words seem quite confusing... Hard to express things sometimes :whistling: You get what I mean I'm sure.

silencedmessage

silencedmessage

• PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
That came through 110% clear to me Stormknight6, and I personally feel that you nailed it! It is in everyone's nature to have the desire to rebel, especially at the adolescent ages; however, not all do. I have put thought into it before, and could come to no logical conclusion other than simply- Everyone is different.

You have just thrown a new perspective in there for me, thank you. :whistling:

-Silenced Message

evilwizard

evilwizard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Well put, I agree. Unless the child provides some reason to lose such trust, it should be given to them. If they know right off the bat they're not supposed to be doing something, that makes them want it all that much more. it's a form of rebellion. Of course, people will see this in two ways. (1) You have no controls set, your child could always do something they're not supposed to if they wanted. or, (2) The child has their freedom and feels trusted, and has no need to do anything "wrong" because the issue at the moment does not exist. The threat exists, but unless they're given a reason to respond to that threat, there should be no problems. Yes, my words seem quite confusing... Hard to express things sometimes :whistling: You get what I mean I'm sure.

I think also that some parents forget that when their children reach that age, teen's, they are coming into an age where they begin to explore more of whats around them and they want to fit in with their peers. They also want a bit more privacy from adult supervision as their independence grows within. Young adults know whats right and whats wrong. They know whats out there in this world.

My 13 year old nice has a Myspace account. She has shown a lot of responsibility in how she manages her Myspace site. She will ask questions and she is very smart about not posting persoanl info. I would never violate her trust and look at her site. I give her her space and privacy. She comes to me for advice about the internet. She has a life of her own and I respect that.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Anyone noticed that leet speak has been around since the dawn of computer games. And almost nobody uses it anymore in favor of the easier much more annoying txt speak. It amazes me what some people will televise.

evilwizard

evilwizard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
yes I saw that bit of info.. Something new to me.. It's been around for a long time.. :whistling:

evilwizard

evilwizard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
yes I saw that bit of info.. Something new to me.. It's been around for a long time..

sorry for the double entry.... :whistling: must have hit twice.. :blink:

Edited by evilwizard, 03 December 2006 - 09:43 AM.