Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sending large fiels over the net?

• Please log in to reply

doire

doire

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
My brother is currently working on a contract in India. His masters degree work that he handed into uni before he went has coem back and he needs to correct a few things.

Instead of me posting the pages he needs done to him, im looking for an alternative. He has his masters saved on my pc..so is there anyway i can send it to him via the web instead of emailing it to him? (emailing will take too long)......in other words are there any sites i can use to send it free?

Thanks

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
How large is the file. You could check xdrive.com. Their free service handles up to 5GB.

doire

doire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Thanks LindaGail. I will give it a go :whistling:

doire

doire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
To register you need an AOL screen name and got an AOL screen name and i dont particualry want to downlaod AOL stuff on my pc.

Any other options? :whistling:

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
From another post - http://www.geekstogo...a...2&t=137630:

www.rapidshare.com
www.savefile.com

I've never used either and have no first hand knowledge of them.

snapsparkchik

snapsparkchik

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I use this website a lot...http://yousendit.com/

It asks for both of your email addresses, but the file isn't actually sent through email. You upload the file, and then the service sends an email to your brother with a link to download the file. It is free up to 5 GB, I believe.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Linda: isn't "rapidshare" a P2P network...apologies if not :whistling: "We" stay clear of such 'round here :blink:

doire: how big's the file? Sending any file over the net is mostly a function of the speed of the service[r]; telephone is the worst unless both ends have DSL, and if you have to go through one or more intermittent service, which will vary in their degree of speed, it will slow down in between...this is the same with any set of used servers ...

Depending on the packet size, the servers allow through their networks, at both ends and in between, you might be better off to split the file... into managable chunks :help:

I use hjsplit.exe http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

It's small, simple to use, fast and efficient. Both parties need a copy...one to split and one to join. Once you have established the limits of the service between both points, split the file accordingly.

Edited by b1caez01, 27 November 2006 - 05:51 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Zapr also works very well.